Cheap CDL School - Sampson Community College

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by ulenie, Jun 10, 2018.

1. ulenie

ulenie Medium Load Member

May 24, 2018
    Houston, TX
    For those that don't want to end up in a contract with the mega carriers, community college CDL programs are an excellent option. Most I have seen are in the $3k to $3.5k range. I just want to share this really cheap school I found: Sampson Community College in Clinton, NC. Cost is $436 regardless if you are in state resident or not. It's a 350 hr program so you would meet any company's min hr requirement. Instead of paying $5K plus for a private school, one might as well find temp housing in the area and get very good training for little money.

localguy65 and Last Time Around Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Home68

Home68 Light Load Member

May 21, 2018
    Do you know how much "on the road" drive time each student gets?

4. ulenie

May 24, 2018
    Houston, TX
    Look on this page. It says 50 hrs driving.

5. Home68

Home68 Light Load Member

May 21, 2018
    That's 5 times more than what I got in the class that ended in April. You'll get about 10 weekends to drive...2 weekends will be used for testing...forward motion and backing. The last four weeks will be for retesting those that don't pass there driving test the first time out. You can get your CDL's and not pass the course but you can't pass the course and not get your CDL's. I took the 16 week class...nights and weekends.

6. ulenie

May 24, 2018
    Houston, TX
    Was it a community college? 10 weekends is a long time. You only got 10hrs of driving in 10 weekends? That seems absurd

7. Home68

Home68 Light Load Member

May 21, 2018
    Half the class drives on Saturday and the other half on Sunday. There are 4 students in each truck by the time the trucks are checked and the instructors are ready to go you stop for lunch your going to get about 1 1/2 hours a week on the road behind the wheel. This is the programs biggest weakness in my opinion.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    Reason for edit: Finish thought
    SOAthor Thanks this.
  8. SOAthor

SOAthor Light Load Member

Jun 3, 2012
    Tennessee
    A lot more communicty colleges and technical schools are not offering cld programs ,its still easy for them to make money and be much cheaper than Road master, but yes sometimes its slower.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.