Cheap way to air off tank trailer

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Mattmanstroked, Jul 4, 2021.

1. Mattmanstroked

Mattmanstroked Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Truck air takes to long to air off a liquid load.
    What are y'all using? That doesn't cost 5 to 10 thousand dollars?

I have looked at a stand alone gas powered air compressor. Have not found one that readily fits for what I consider a good price.

About the best I can come up with is a PTO air compressor. Looks to be the least expensive with the most air flow. Only down side is running the PTO shaft like 11 feet to mount air compressor where I would like it.

Got a quote for a hydraulic drive to run air compressor. Price was almost 7,000 dollars.

pathfinder1361 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    CK. to see if you can put it where the stairs are bolted on to the frame behind the fuel tank, then later when they tell you need a pump you can just switch the PTO driveshaft over back and forth to what ever one you need at the time??

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
  4. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    You need a cooler if you run a hydraulic pto to compressor.

5. Mattmanstroked

Nov 24, 2019
    I hope I never need a liquid pump. We don't have any loads that require a pump.

The hydraulic pump type gets expensive when you figure in the cooler part of the setup.

If I didn't have to such a long PTO shaft be a lot easier to go that route. There is so much junk in the way on both sides of the frame until you get back behind the sleeper. Running a PTO shaft that far is going to require two or three carrier bearings to support the PTO shaft.

77fib77 Thanks this.
  6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

The tanker company I worked for used a PTO-driven Hydro-Chem air/liquid pump. Then switched to trucks that used truck air. Unload times with either system was between 45-90 minutes for our phosphoric acid product.

7. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Maybe you could just add several
    More air tanks on the tractor ?

that are separate circuit from the regular tanks , and switchable , so they wouldn’t add any time to charging the brake air tanks .

They would charge up while you’re driving .
    Would speed up the process at least in the beginning.

8. Just passing by

Just passing by Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Mississippi
    I must be missing something. I can only put about 30 psi in the tanker or the relief valve will pop up. Tractor's air doesn't take long to get there. It is what it is...

tscottme, 77fib77 and mustang190 Thank this.
  9. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Not if you have enough hydraulic fluid capacity... Larger hydraulic fluid tank solves most issues with hydraulic fluid getting to warm.

I learned this when building log splitters... Played around with a borrowed splitter that had only about 2 gallon reservoir, tank would get so hot it would burn you. When I built my own I put a 15 gallon reservoir on it, tank barely gets warm enough to melt snow... Even after running continuously for several hours.

tscottme Thanks this.
  10. Mattmanstroked

Nov 24, 2019
    Lots of factors in how long it takes to build pressure on tank.

Size of trailer and amount of product.

Unloading with a 3 inch hose and truck air can't keep up with how fast trailer unloads once you build your pressure the first time. Have to stop unloading and build pressure again before you finish unloading.

As y'all know time is money. Have a load that if I could unload faster could make it home without having to take another 10 hour break.

Thinking truck air makes about 10cfm of air. If I can double or triple my air volume I can save some time.

11. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Matlack had Ross 4 cyl. tractor air compressors and no aux. compressors [left room for a dry bulk blower] and that was a lot quicker than just a tractor glad hand.

pathfinder1361 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.