Children and Hazmat loads

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by sw6416, Dec 13, 2015.

1. sw6416

sw6416 Bobtail Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Sorry if this has been covered somewhere before I have done some searching on the internet and can't find a clear cut answer. What if any laws are there against having a child in a truck under a hazmat placard load ..... Specifically 1203 gasoline while in motion? Age restrictions etc? I don't need a lecture about how dumb this is I am asking concerning the welfare of some activity I have witnessed that I am concerned about. Thanks in advance for any help.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. chalupa

chalupa Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas
    Did the same thing...can't find a reg.......so just for grins lets say you saw a child in a drivers truck hauling gas. It's a stupid thing to do, it's against carrier policy, it's against insurance company policy, it's against load rack policy .
    The Feds do have a reg about unlicensed drivers needing written carrier permission in their possession while riding in a CMV. Unlicensed is a non CDL holder. State DOT have their own regs too. Law is you must follow the strictest law where you operate.

Call his carrier and call the load rack if you know who......this is a very bad idea.

JMO

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  4. mountaingote

mountaingote Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2012
    OMG! A kid in a truck! Whatever are we going to do? Obviously, the load racks don't allow it. Most tank outfits won't allow it because of liability concerns. However, if the driver is following the rule book and has written permission to carry a passenger, I suggest this: Mind yer own #### business. Do kids scare you? Are you scared of gas? Scared of gas trucks? I hope you aren't one of the Holy Few whose sole purpose in life is to dream up disasters that hide behind every tree or blade of grass

NWAF, sawmill, not4hire and 4 others Thank this.
  5. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I think in the long run, it would be better ( and safer) just to pay the sitter.

IH Truck Guy Thanks this.
  6. WesternEmpire

WesternEmpire Medium Load Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Arcade, NY
    I say if the driver has a BOL for the kid and the proper endorsement to haul children as well as HazMat them leave it alone.

7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    You are going to ruin that kid's day. I know I'd have been pissed if someone told me I couldn't ride in the truck with my old man. Then again he was an o/o and didn't have to worry about permissions and crap. I just had to sit at the scalehouse at the mill while he unloaded since I wasn't allowed in the millyard.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
    Rock 'n Roll Relocater Thanks this.
  8. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Depending on the age of the kid, they may have a "HazMat" load in their pants. :eek:

9. chalupa

chalupa Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas
    Interesting response Gote......You're right, children of all ages are very well equipped to understand and accept the risks involve in hazardous material transportation .

G13Tomcat and WesternEmpire Thank this.
  10. Rock 'n Roll Relocater

Rock 'n Roll Relocater Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Near Music City
    I believe his point was since when is it your (or anybody else’s for that matter) concern what other people do with their own children? Worry about the stuff in your own life. Let them worry about theirs.

HalpinUout Thanks this.
  11. sw6416

sw6416 Bobtail Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Gote thanks for the smart ### reply as I knew someone would have to stick their uniformed nose into and make assumptions. For your information it is my business as it is my step child that I'm concerned about. And yes for the most part gas trucks do scare me especially when it's a calculated risk and a unnecessary one at that. Ever seen a gas truck rollover? Most of the time it's a huge fiery ball if death. So mind your own business.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.