Children and Hazmat loads

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by sw6416, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Rock 'n Roll Relocater

Rock 'n Roll Relocater Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Near Music City
    Then why didn't you put that into your op so that people knew you had a reason for direct concern rather than your vague comment?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    good question, I dont think there are any. your company would know.I have hauled many hazmat loads with a dry van and none of them posed a threat to the driver or the motoring public.

Rock 'n Roll Relocater Thanks this.
  4. Pool6710

Pool6710 Medium Load Member

Aug 10, 2014
    Minnesnowta
    The kid is actually safer in the truck than in your family SUV.

There's been only 2,600 HM crashes per year out of 500,000+ Comercial vehicle crashes.

What are some facts about truck driving accidents?Commercial trucks are involved in 2.4% of all car accidents.
    Trucks are 3 times less likely to be in an accident than a regular motor vehicle.
    One person is injured or killed in a truck accident every 16 minutes.

How many truck accidents occur every year?The United States Department of Transportation estimates that over 500,000 truck accidents occur every year.

What is the cause of the truck accidentsMore than 75% of truck driving accidents are due to the driver of the passenger vehicle.
    Only 16% of all truck driving accidents are due to the truck driver’s fault.

How many people are seriously injured in a truck accident?Nearly 5,000 people are killed in truck accidents every year.Nearly 98% of the time, the drivers of the other vehicle are killed in a truck accident.

G13Tomcat and HalpinUout Thank this.
  5. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    It all depends...

does the kid smoke?

6. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Go back to bed.

And make sure you walk everywhere from now on.

7. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    ALL that is required is a written permission for the passenger by the carrier.
    The law doesn't care what their age or license status is whatsoever.

8. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    So what does the other parent, the one you are married to, think?

I would caution about doing anything that might cause "issues" with the parent in question. Unless he is doing something inherently dangerous while at his job (smoking while doing a fuel drop), I wouldn't get involved.

I never got in the way of my oldest daughter (who is my stepdaughter) associating with her birth father. She made the choice on her own to choose me as her dad.

Tread lightly here. You don't want to start a war over this.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  9. TruckersWife8818

TruckersWife8818 Bobtail Member

Apr 4, 2020
    Is there a law? *background* The mother to my stepson is now saying we can't take him on the road which we have many times before but all of a sudden it's a issue..... my husband has a hazmat and hauls fuel..... she is stating in court papers that the LAW says noone can ride in the truck unless they to have a hazmat. I have looked everywhere in every book and on websites I have emailed fmsca which I know can take forever to get a answer and probably much busier with more important matters. This is how we survive and the kids love going and us spending time together! I just cant find anything about it.

10. bigtravelr

bigtravelr Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2017
    As long as you have a signed rider authorization from your carrier there's no issue I haul haz mat and take my children every summer.

The only issue you may run into is many shippers won't let children in the gate so they have to be old enough to leave them at the guard shack sometimes.

wis bang and Studebaker Hawk Thank this.
  11. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    @TruckersWife8818. If the company you hubby hauls for doesn't have any problem with his son riding with him, I would think that there is no law against it. I hauled hazmat chemical tankers and we were allowed to take a child over 14 with us a few times a year. And I know those tight-a--d ######## would not have if it was illegal.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.