Children on board

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Ramli, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I got my hands on a blank "passenger authorization" form and made a few copies. Then when I had an unauthorized passenger, I simply filled out a form with that passengers name on it.

BigBob410, Studebaker Hawk and Jazz1 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brotha D

Brotha D Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2017
    While I think some of the responses here may be a little over the top dramatic, I have to agree, big trucks are no places for babies and toddlers.

I've got five kids, every one of them has been in the truck with me, on a few occasions for the entire summer. But only once have I had more than one in the truck at a time and that was an emergency. I didn't take any of them on the road until they were old enough to legally be out of a carseat.

It's just too dangerous for them and the driver. I think that's why the other posters were making such strong cases against it, and they are 100% correct.

nikmirbre Thanks this.
  4. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    I am going to go partially against the tide here. It is the same policy I set for taking my children to Disney world.
    Anything less that 10 years old and you are just providing a dangerous location for daycare. No kids in cab before then. Just like it is a waste of time to take very young children to Disney.
    At 10 years old or more, one at a time it can be a life changing positive experience for both adult and child. Beyond educational, life's lessons can be invaluable. And the child is old enough to be secured in the passenger seat properly.
    Typically large trucking firms don't allow it, that is why I have worked for those who see the human side of things.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  5. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    Don't see why anyone thinks its dangerous for kids to be in a big truck. I hauled mine around years ago but they were accustomed to it from a young age and knew what to pack to keep them occupied while travelling. Also encouraged kids to get a good education and earn big bucks, fullsizeoutput_17d.jpeg not end up driving a truck...it worked!
    Freightliner much safer than a ford camper special.

6. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

LOL, me too! (It helps when you've been at the company longer than the last 4 safety directors. Hahahahah)

But I can play both sides.

I worked at a big company, before we had kids, they wanted some fee to have a rider. ($26/week whether she came or not) so I just played dumb and said nothing. I would not recommend taking kids with a large carrier. (For instance, a load I was promised was cancelled, so instead of taking her home I had to put her on a 5+ hour Greyhound.) It really wasn't worth the hassle.

Now at my smaller company they didn't have a problem after I'd been there for 3 years and proven myself reliable but interestingly after the VP started having kids herself she started asking me questions about how I was transporting my boy around. (Seems she didn't care as much when it was just MY kid, lol) it just so happened that as a rules nerd and a guy that has a two seat roadster I knew about the "front seat exemption" for two seat vehicles. (since kids are required to go in the back, but if you have a no back seat automakers are REQUIRED to have an airbag defeat switch) so I showed her pics of him strapped into his car seat in the passenger chair just chilling. (Btw since the OP has 2 kids I think that ought to answer that.)

Now kids in the truck in general:

1.) actually I think I was MORE careful with passengers. With my wife I was more concerned with getting caught!

2.) kids get bored. On the other hand they sleep quite a bit.

3.) when it IS time to sleep? They don't. *sigh*

4.) kids won't be welcomed at shippers/receivers.

5.) if your company isn't strict about routing, you might be able to detour to see a museum or some such together.

So there are pros and cons: my kid is 7 now and he's been with me a few trips a year since he was,,,, 2? (I don't remember when we started) now that school has started I do it less (can't randomly take him to Ohio on a Wednesday) but we did get to go to Disney on the company dime. Actually doesn't appeal to him much now that he's discovered video games (Minecraft specifically)

In summary: (boy did I meander on this) for the OP? Sounds like a bad idea. For others that may be reading this thread? It CAN be done but it depends on your employer and circumstances vary. My advice, it's more work than you might think. If you wanna take a kid out with you on a trip a local run might be better than any kind of overnight because the thrill will wear off in about an hour. And taking the whole family is really only good if you're going to/past somewhere interesting. Family won't be impressed by the feed mills of Kentucky.

7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Used to ride in the truck with my dad back when I was 4 or 5. The 90's were a happier time.

Dan.S and BigBob410 Thank this.
  8. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Just get a ATT Mobley (unlimited data) and a tablet...

That's what I did when my boys (1 at a time) come with me.

Keeps them occupied either on Youtube or online games

9. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    ain't my fault if they did not use contraceptives.

Bakerman Thanks this.
  10. mangdriver

mangdriver Light Load Member

Feb 13, 2016
    I checked to Mobley recently for my in-laws, apparently its out of beta phase and they don't offer the unlimited plan just a 2gig and 5gig plan. I got ours when they still offered the unlimited

11. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

Eh, if it was up to me I'd revolk his tablet privileges.

My dad hated me watching the boobtube as a kid, "it'll rot your brain!" And now I'm the same with him and YouTube. (Although I'm equally guilty)

I want him to go outside, play in snow, ride a bike, get dirty, make real life in person friends. But that's not the way people "parent" these days and I'm not around enough to do it (or on my 2-3 days off a MONTH I'm too beat to do it)

I had friends in HS that got into drugs and I saw what addiction can do to people, I'm telling you this internet thing is just as bad. It's troubling.

Dan.S Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.