Choosing the Best CB Radio

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Basic13, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Dustball

Dustball Bobtail Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Ridgecrest, CA
    Another place (customcbradios) has the Cobra 29 Black Chrome with the RFX-75 advertises "90+ watts of swing.." for $10 more. Frankly all the technicals are beyond me, so I'd appreciate a simple answer as to whether or not these are good/capable starter set-ups for those desiring to stay out of the 10m space?

Other opinions/recommendations for around that $200 mark would be greatly appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. outerspacehillbilly

outerspacehillbilly "Instigator of the Legend"

May 28, 2009
    The Who's Your State
    To answer your question yes. Those are screaming little radios with that rfx 75 mod done. Custom cb radios ( can't remember his name, Doug I think ) used to work for Al at Sparky's and both do great work, either one would be a great AM only radio. I personally would get the 29 for $10 difference. Both will blow anything else away in that price range.

4. Turbo-T

Turbo-T Road Train Member

May 31, 2009
    Yes the Cobra 25 stealth by Sparky is good for if you want a talker but don't want/need the 10 meter bands. Although some will argue for what you spend for one of Sparky's stealths, you could buy a nice linear amp and a plain jane radio and have more watts. But IMO the stealth 25 is good for those who want to walk softly and carry a big stick....and for those who want a high watt radio but the company will not allow a linear in the truck.

5. Carolina Thunder

Carolina Thunder Medium Load Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Coeburn V.A.
    No problem. So did it fit where you wanted it to and how is the receive on AM and SSB,pretty clean or on the trashy side?

6. clantonman1983

clantonman1983 Light Load Member

Mar 24, 2009
    clanton, al
    It works great as far as I can tell. I'm getting out to neighboring counties and stuff like i was before. People say it sounds really clean. The receive is very good as well. haven't used SSB yet. I'll try to take a picture soon and post it.

7. Dustball

Dustball Bobtail Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Ridgecrest, CA
    Appreciate the responses. After reading the many "What radio" posts I thought those two might be serious contenders for around $200. Turbo-T talks about the Stealth which seems to have a few more goodies, but also weighs in at ~$270 too. Nice radio, but about 35% over what I really wanted to spend for his "entry" radio.

Now I understand that there are many variables that factor into a range question. Setting everything equal, what could you reasonably expect to get in miles across flat desert with optimum environmental conditions for one of those Cobra 25/29's w/rfx-mod and tuned from a Sparky's or Custom CB?

8. outerspacehillbilly

May 28, 2009
    The Who's Your State
    That's a loaded question. It could range anywhere from 5 to 25 miles depending on what kind of vehicle, antenna, and how good you set them up.

9. Turbo-T

Turbo-T Road Train Member

May 31, 2009
    The Cobra 25 stealth sells for $189 at Sparkys. If you want echo, add another $30. How far it will get out will depend on antenna used, SWR, what kinds of terrain you're in, etc. A few testimonials on the 25 Stealth have said they talked an easy 15 miles.

Cobra Stealth:

http://www.sparkyscbshack.com/catalog/item/6231095/6987011.htm

10. Dustball

Dustball Bobtail Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Ridgecrest, CA
    Thanks for the responses. Called Sparky's, as it turned out after hours, and spoke to the man himself for about 20 minutes. Given the requirements and restrictions we have to work with, Sparky said I'd be wasting money going with the other radios discussed above. Since we are dealing with stock antennas and crappy chassis grounds on an '07 Volvo tractor he recommended the Galaxy 919. Folks were right about him not trying to oversell you something...

11. outerspacehillbilly

May 28, 2009
    The Who's Your State
    Yes Al is top notch. However if you set up the Volvo right you can run anything you want. I run my Galaxy 48T and wilson 2000 on my 07 Volvo and have 1.3 swr across the board and putting out 220 bird watts. I can tell you this you will have to get a perch mount to mount your antenna to get a good gound. You will also have to run some ground straps and ground "everything" ie body,frame,doors etc...... You'll need some good coax also some rg8x will do fine. I guess it all just depends on what you want. A 919 is a decent radio but if you want more just letting you know it can be done on that Volvo. FYI the stock coax and antennas on those Volvo's are junk as are all stock stuff from the factories. If you want any kind of range more than 1-2 miles you'll have to do what I suggested even with that 919. Either way getting it from Sparkys the radio you choose will be a good one.

david07003 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.