Cigarette smoke clean-up in a 2023 Cascadia

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by ConsciousTrucker, Oct 6, 2022.

1. MSWS

MSWS Light Load Member

Jun 30, 2022
    I'm guessing there are enough drivers who do smoke that banning it in the trucks would lose them more drivers than allowing it would. I wonder why they don't do like hotels and have some that are smoking and some that aren't. Reserve a percentage of trucks for smoking and ban it in the rest.

bzinger Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    One of the first clutch jobs I did I know for a fact the guy chain smoked Cuban cigars in the truck. Just taking the shifter out was enough to give me a headache.

MartinFromBC and bzinger Thank this.
  4. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018
    My trucks are all non smoking.

It is no different than an office, and here that's illegal to smoke in an office.
    In fact the law even has rules about how far away you must be from the truck/office door.
    A business in town got a large fine, for not making their employees smoke far enough away from their doors.
    If it happens again, it will be more than a fine, i know the guy who wrote them that fine, next time they lose their business license.

Still undecided Thanks this.
  5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    One dealer I was at put stickers on the windows of every company vehicle saying non-smoking. Its actually against OH&S rules to smoke in a company vehicle I believe.

MartinFromBC and Still undecided Thank this.
  6. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    5 years ago I bought a smoked in cascadia that reeked .
    I scrubed every inch of the interior including the backs of the cabinet doors and interiors of cabinets , febreezed the headliner daily for a couple months .
    Windows always cracked when at home .
    Always kept clean and liberal air freshener applications that I like .
    Apples cut up in the cubby pockets for short periods of time .
    It took about a year but no foul oders in here since .
    Everybody that gets in it always says how nice it smells .
    And I'm an ex smoker .

7. Magoo1968

Magoo1968 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2021
    St Malo mb
    Op disappeared

bzinger Thanks this.
  8. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    As usual.

9. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    We track who smokes and who doesn't and if we get a request for a non-smoker truck, we do our best to give a non-smoker truck to the new hire (doesn't always work, though, and we let them know none were available but they will be moved as soon as one comes up). We have been holding a truck out of service for 3 weeks awaiting an annual returning non-smoking winter driver... he's flying in from Europe today and will be hitting the road this weekend to run hard and live in the truck for the next 6 months before he returns home for the summer (semi-retired).

Last edited: Oct 13, 2022
  10. MSWS

MSWS Light Load Member

Jun 30, 2022
    It's good that you do that. Out of curiosity, what percentage of your drivers would you say are smokers? I ask because you said that you do your best to accommodate non-smokers but that it doesn't always work out. That sounds to me like smokers have the upper hand. Is that because they're a majority of your drivers or are they just more willing to leave if they're not accommodated?

11. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    I would estimate 30%. Its not that they have the upper hand, its that we don't have a bunch of empty trucks sitting around. For instance, I have a funnel of 5 drivers wanting on board, but only 4 trucks available (including our maintenance spares, 1 in MN and 1 in OH). As two are spares, they have been smoked in. Out of the other pair, one is smoke-free and reserved for the part-timer, and the other has been smoked in, so I cannot help it for the new guy (starting today). If its too much, he'll be on the list for immediate swap the moment a non-smoking truck comes available.

As for the last point, I don't have any data to support or deny that possibility. I guess I could dig through records and compile it, but that would be very time consuming for minimal benefit.

MSWS Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.