claims, trailer damage

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by drivin, Aug 29, 2014.

1. marmon96

marmon96 Light Load Member

Dec 27, 2013
    gardner,ma.
    i picked up a pre loaded sealed trailer one day of 5000lb rolled paper stock.guess it must have been a newbie that loaded it cause instead of standing em up the dummie layed them on the floor with a couple chock blocks behind the last one.well i came to the stop sign at the end of their driveway,stopped and proceeded to take off when all of a sudden there was a big bang .as i looked in my mirror those 5000lb rolls were rolling down the street.man someone could have gotton killed.i went and found the shipper to ream him a new a-hole:biggrin_25523:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    Ha ha ha ha. I recently delivered a bunch of wire coils. The forklift driver dropped one when it was close to the ground. It rolled off the forks. It rolled and rolled and rolled all the way to the back of the lot before it hit something. No damage but it went a long way.

4. OutOfIdeas

OutOfIdeas Light Load Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Im dealing with this as well. Picked up a preload, looked inside and it was cases of beer on pallets. Could only see about halfway back in the trailer. Looked normal, so I slapped a load lock on it and rolled.
    Ran into traffic, and when the 4 wheeler in front of me suddenly jammed on his brakes, so did I. I had to stand on them pretty hard to avoid collision, as I had just pulled in behind him to make an exit, and hadn't gotten proper following distance established yet.
    I heard and felt the load shift, so after getting permission broke the seal to check it out. Load lock was still in place, but entire load has slid forward 2 feet. Crawled over the cases to see what the story was up front. Its a bunch of kegs, that were stacked loose on pallets, not wrapped or secured in any manner. I dont smell spilled beer, but they're scattered pretty well...
    Still waiting to hear back from regional manager on that one..

5. lfod14

lfod14 Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2014
    As a guy who drives for a beer distributor.... I feel your pain. The Coors Bubble kegs are the worst for taking off on you since their stacked horizontally and only have a little groove to sit it.

6. OutOfIdeas

OutOfIdeas Light Load Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Good call... its a Coors load!
    This is exactly what happened.

snatale42 Thanks this.
  7. Trygg

Trygg Light Load Member

Feb 11, 2014
    The West

I have a little extendable arm pointer thingy, (whatever you call them) that I strapped a mirror to the end of it, I poke that up and look around through the back of the trailer on loads like that to check the product, sometimes gotta shine a flashlight into it to see in the way back. It's not perfect, but it gives me a general look as to how the product was loaded and if it's safe to roll with.

8. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    There has been talk within the government to do away with cargo insurance and make the shipper responsible for the insurance and making sure that the load is secured properly.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.