Class 3 reciever install?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by roadgypsie, May 13, 2012.

1. roadgypsie

roadgypsie Light Load Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Fairbury,NE
    Anybody ever had or heard of putting a class 3 reciever between the frame rails or on back plate of the frame? Getting a 25' boat soon and my $900 3/4 ton won't be up to the job for quite some time..... Figure there should be a bonus to running my own company in using the truck for pleasure/extra work moving smaller trailers.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    I have seen trucks before that put a ball hitch on the back and used the class 8 tractor to yank around an RV or boat. I have not taken a close up look at how they did it, but I have seen it done.

Technically, there is still a requirement to log it if you are pulling anything on there for hire. There is no requirement to log it driving if you are pulling your own stuff for recreational purposes.

roadgypsie Thanks this.
  4. Kansas

Kansas Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2009
    aircap, Ks.
    etrailer.com sells a few that might work for you. Some are bolt in, others need welded up.

Towing > Specialty Hitches > Heavy Duty Truck Hitches.

roadgypsie Thanks this.
  5. WMGUY

WMGUY Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Nine Mile Falls, WA
    i did something similar with by T2000

i got a "pintle hitch" with the bottom part being a ball not just a hook, i got it from napa for like $35

any ways i used it to pull out boat around one summer

roadgypsie Thanks this.
  6. roadgypsie

roadgypsie Light Load Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Fairbury,NE
    A friend had the idea of the pintle, gonna call a few shops that are along the way and see if they could do something quick and dirty, I don't see any way I could install anything myself unless it was bolt on, and no time to wait on an order. Need it by thurs or so if the seller can't get it pulled for me for some extra $$

7. kwloo

kwloo Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2011
    eh?
    Any small welding shop could fab something in an hour_ probably using a free or used receiver

8. 112racing

112racing Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    pocono's, pa
  9. FL32514

FL32514 Bobtail Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Pensacola, Fl
    I may be wrong, But I also believe they do make a converter so you can plug your pigtail on your rig into the trailer lights so you don't have to run additional wires.

10. leftlanetruckin

leftlanetruckin Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Mo Via Blackpool,Lancs.
    Just wire it into the tail lights, super easy.
    I dont think a GOOD one can be designed, cut, welded and painted in an hour, but maybe I am just slow....:biggrin_25513:
    jeep-on-trl.jpg
    I used 3/8" plate bolted with 3 - 1/2" grade 8 bolts per side, to my RGN ramps, with a 6x2x1/4" wall tube between them, then the receiver tube with gussets on it welded onto the 6x2. A 7 pin RV plug into the tail lights, and all was done. A little more than an hour, but I have pulled a 30k lb trailer off my RGN with it, with a slide in pintle hook, and it never moved. It was also used one time as a lift point for a wrecker truck when I spun a rod bearing and got pulled home. So I think my extra few hours were well worth it myself:biggrin_25525:

Martin

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.