Class 7 hazmat shipments as part of a mixed load...

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by MACK E-6, Jan 17, 2017.

1. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I ran into a curious situation today.

I picked a class 7 hazmat shipment weighing about 100 lbs. This box was labeled as "yellow no. 2" so by itself it doesn't require placards. I did have roughly 2600 lbs of class 8 on board already, so my question is this.

Did the class 7 shipment that alone didn't require placards trigger the need for a "dangerous" placard as part of a mixed load?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    You are asking internet experts? God help you. Personally, I don't know. I got out of that years ago.

4. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    What did the shipper give you? They are supposed to give you the Placards for the loads.

5. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    I thought he does LTL, tho. So, which shipper provides the placards, when the sum total crosses the threshold for needing them?

6. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    I forgot that he does LTL... I would say yes now that you crossed the threshold for total on board HazMat.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  7. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Our placards are attached to the trailers in packs. This was a survey company sending one of the nuclear gauges out for repairs, so they wouldn't have a clue anyway.

8. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    We now have an answer to this little conundrum.

According to what I was told today, my suspicions were correct regarding my use of the "dangerous" placard here, but only because the class 8 freight didn't consist of bulk containers. Apparently bulk containers don't count towards the aggregate total, so if I'd had those, only the ID placard for the class 8 would have been necessary, and nothing for the class 7 in this case.

misterG Thanks this.
  9. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    I've lost count of the number of times I've had shippers give me the wrong placards. They always get confused by whether bulk placards are required or not. I had one guy wave a copy of the guidebook that was seven years out of date at me. I hear "8820 rule" all the time. I hear "duh... that's just what we've always done". I had one girl argue with me even though the required placards were painted on the side of each drum!

Always double check the placards the shipper gives you. It's one thing to say it's the shipper's responsibility. But it's going to be you standing in that weigh station.

Ryan423 Thanks this.
  10. me myself and I

me myself and I Heavy Load Member

Oct 5, 2009
    vernon hills,Il
    Since you had more than 2205 lbs of class 8 it required placard. You only use Dangerous placard if none of items is over 2205.

Ryan423 Thanks this.
  11. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    You can use that for separate classes, but if one is that much, AND you loaded it at one place, that class needs its own.

Ryan423 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.