Class B to Class A - Air brakes and Automatics

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Mach, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Mach

Mach Light Load Member

Nov 19, 2017
    Knoxville Tennessee
    Currently I have my class B. I took the test with air break and a manual transmission, there for I have no restrictions from those things. Now I am planing on getting into the hot shot gig (maybe - but thats a long story lol). My question is this. Lets say I take a test in another truck with air brakes, but is an automatic. Am I going to be restricted to an automatic class A only? And if I take the test in a pickup with a 40' gooseneck, will I also lose my airbrake endorsement?

I suppose I could always rent a tractor and trailer but even new rental trucks are going automatic these days. I just don't want to be restricted on something that I currently have

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You might not gain a Class A with a hot shot and certainly not with airbrakes. They will need a CDL for 26,001 and up in weight.

IF you hold a non restricted for manual transmission, it does not matter what you drive. Only that you can drive anything within your class, be it Fred Flintstone feet or auto or manual wheels.

Most students are trapped into auto restriction that is relatively new among all our states when they think something is finally wrong with the manual and slapped that on there.

If you test in a vehicle to renew your license or upgrade to another class etc without airbrake, you will lose your airbrake. And I don't see the point. Airbrakes is everything in heavy vehicles even though some hotshots might not have them. (Not wise, but a discussion for another day)

In short I think trying for a hot shot for which you already may hold sufficient CDL... the only thing that's left to figure out is Combination vehicle. Being a trailer on a 5th wheel or a pintle hook etc. Either a restricted A or a full blood A.

You can always call your Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Board or similar at your Revenuer (DMV, and yes we use that word... for other reasons tax as well) they will be more than happy to explain whats what.

With myself, I just got the full blood Class A and did not care what I drove as long it's not a motor cycle on public roads. I was not licensed for that.

4. Mach

Mach Light Load Member

Nov 19, 2017
    Knoxville Tennessee
    the word around the hot shot community is that if the trailer is over 10,001 lbs means you need an A to operate. Now I have heard of having a class B with endorsement to tow more than 10,001lbs but I have no idea if thats true. But yeah the air brake question came in mostly because A lot of hotshot drivers do test in a pickup and large gooseneck, and obviously those lack in air brakes. So thats why I wondered.

so with what you are saying, I will lose the air brake endorsement if I did it that way? Thats so stupid in my opinion. I will for sure have to call and find out on that if no one has a set answer

now another thing Ive been thinking of is just using a straight truck for hotshot, but that would really limit me in load options since I probably wont be able to spec a truck with at most a 30' flat bed.

5. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    The State is... not smart sometimes. They can only check off what they see. No airbrakes, check auto only check boom there goes that. Your trailer would be something else. And check. What you get back might not be what you had in mind.

The State is like that sometimes. They can only check off what they see or don't see.

Anything else I can offer would not advance your situation.

I should ask you. Why are you doing Hotshot. Most people with CDL B's or A's run off to drive the big stuff.

6. Mach

Mach Light Load Member

Nov 19, 2017
    Knoxville Tennessee
    Money mostly. Plus a little more freedom doing otr. I currently drive dump truck. Used to make 50k doing it. Then I moved to Tennessee and I'm stuck at 14 an hour doing the same thing which is BS. So I want to go otr like I've wanted to for a while now but didn't want to go full blown mega carrier. Thought hotshot would be cool. But I would love to keep doing class b work but there's not much of it for the otr world besides expedite, which I'd love to do, but have no one to team with. That's why I also wondered if hotshot type loads could be done with a 40' flatbed truck. Thats a whole different topic though.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    x1Heavy Thanks this.
  7. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    That class b you drive, any possibility of the biss letting you use it to get a class a? Sounds like all you would need to do is hook to a trailer rated at 10,001 or more. It can be empty for that matter..

If you were to test with a hotshot vehicle, you could get a class a. You will also get a few restrictions.
    No air brakes
    Automatic only (if tested with)
    No 5th wheel (if testing with gooseneck)

8. Mach

Mach Light Load Member

Nov 19, 2017
    Knoxville Tennessee
    It is possible. We do have some tri axle equipment trailers, but our trucks are all Allison autos. So regardless it sounds like I'll then be restricted to autos even still. And I didn't even know 5th wheel had restrictions too. If I tested with the trailers here, it would be pintle hitch.

RoadRooster and x1Heavy Thank this.
  9. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I tell you what.

I did blacktop with a superliner Mack which had a pintle for a beaver many wheeler to carry a backhoe and paver. That was airbrake with glad hands etc. So... restricted class A rig all up. Particularly when loaded all up stone and stuff on trailer. Might as well be a 18 wheeler by weight. (I never thought that pintle would be that good holding... but eh..)

If I tested with that in any state, it would be a Restricted A CDL because of the type of connection. But free on manual trans and airbrakes etc.

Hot shot I have seen them carry Texas type Goose neck and then load what I would consider a proper flatbed load for a 18 wheeler. But by weight, its light enough for them to do it. What I cannot reconcile in my head is the mountain work that would be necessary with them on liquid fluid brakes and hardly any jacobs. It's a disadvantage.

I own a Tahoe and it's plated at 5500 with gross at 8600 and can carry around 5000 on it's hitch. Which is pretty light considering what hotshots do. But with the engine and braking I have, forget loading a trailer on it and gently load maybe half ton on the back, no more than that.

Mach Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.