Classic example of the domino effect...

Discussion in 'May Trucking' started by Scooter Jones, May 11, 2013.

1. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Here's a classic example of how what other drivers do, or, don't do affects someone else.

Worked my arse off last week. Most of the week driving until 11:00 pm to midnight to get my miles in and to set myself up at the consignee so as not to have to start my Elogs in the morning until I knew when my next appt. was going to be. Loaded at 11:00 am yesterday in Napa, CA, check in and load time was excellent. I was on my way home, expected ETA was 5:00 pm. I had worked and positioned myself all week long for that.

Then...

Receive message from dispatcher, "you need to take that load to Lathrop drop yard (90 miles the other direction) and hook to an empty and go back to Napa and "save a load for us".

Nice! Just what I wanted to hear! You ask, why did I have to "save" the load for them? Well, let me tell you why. The other "professional truck driver" grabbed the wrong dispatched empty trailer from another yard and went to load. However, they don't load their product on trailers that have fiberglass ceilings! So, he was rejected and sent to load somewhere else. Instead, I'm designated to cover his mistake.

By the time I get back to the shipper, with one minute to spare before the cut-off time, I don't have enough hours left on my 11 to get home anymore. Not only that, the traffic getting back to the place was atrocious and I knew it would be a nightmare to even trudge back into it, so, I went to the end of the cul-de-sac and tried to sleep.

In addition, the opportunity for starting my 34 hour reset is extended now because I got home a day later. I wanted to start driving again on Sunday morning, now I have to wait until Monday, effectively costing me a whole day's wages.

This example is also relevant for the idiots who refuse to pretrip the trailers properly (or just don't care) and leave bad tires, lights, damaged cross beams, tandems that won't slide, no registration, etc., for the next guy to deal with.

Paloma and skootertrashr6 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hardlyevr

Hardlyevr Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Mapleton Depot,PA
    So how much extra pay did you get for doing this? And if none, what would have happened if you said "no thanks, I'm keeping and running what I already have"?

4. pjw044

pjw044 Heavy Load Member

Cant do that at May--forced dispatch.
    You can try it and wait to see what happens....

5. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    I don't drive for May. I just post over here because it's a place where I spend time on the forum. Plus, the issues I raised are universal, not exclusive to where I work at Thomas & Sons or May Trucking.

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  6. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    I was compensated for my miles and one additional drop. However, if truth be told, my angst goes beyond the monetary side of things, I make good money where I'm at. I covet my weekly home time, when someone effs with that, I get grumpy ;-)

Last edited: May 11, 2013
    Reroll and Paloma Thank this.
  7. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    While you've addressed the dominos in terms of the impact on other truckers within your fleet for that mistake, the biggest domino of all is with the customer. Is their shipment now delayed, is their customer now unhappy? Will they say, "Geez, didn't XYZ trucking bring in the wrong trailer last time? Better call ABC company this time."? Mistakes like that have more serious trickle down effect for future business for your company, and whether or not there are enough loads for your company drivers in the future.

8. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    Good point. I'm sure that can and does happen.

9. Charli Girl

Charli Girl Road Train Member

Mar 23, 2013
    Houston,Tx
    Annnnnnnd this IS where I would've been fired for saying" you can kiss my arse!" And exactly why I've went and bought another truck bc I can't deal with that disregard for MY time!!! My time is JUST as valuable as any dispatcher,shipper or some idiot that made the initial mistake....but just to be sure..it was prolly some idiot dispatcher that gave that driver the wrong info and blamed it on that driver....

10. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    What he said^

11. Charli Girl

Charli Girl Road Train Member

Mar 23, 2013
    Houston,Tx
    Ummmm...I'm a " she said"... Hee Hee

Joker85 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.