Cleaning dpf/def filters yourself and resetting the ECM

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by markk, Oct 16, 2021.

1. markk

markk Medium Load Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Hi, Pete 579 2017 split exhaust. I need to have filters cleaned . Can't afford that 2k or so labor so want to remove them myself.
    My question is what will happen when I put in clean filters and then drive it to Peterbilt to have the dpf reset in ecm ?
    I know it has to be reset but will it drive across town , not shut down or clog up new filters?
    Or will I need to have a service truck come to house and reset it ?
    Warranty pays for new ones and labor if they can't be cleaned , but I got to pay whole thing if I get em cleaned. Sucks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Check with your local dealer to make sure there is no issues with the process and that they are willing. Bring a receipt from your cleaner to show that it was cleaned properly and it passed reuse inspections.

I would do it no problem. Wont hurt a thing to drive a short distance to the dealer and I think road call for such would be extreme. This is just a maintenance cleaning right? I might leave the regen switch off until the resets get done and a good regen is verified.

Good on you for doing the nuts and bolts to save some money. If you have questions or need help along the way, just holler......

Tug Toy and markk Thank this.
  4. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    If you can’t afford $2,000 then it’s time to sell the truck. You’re already bankrupt, just haven’t realized it yet.

5. markk

markk Medium Load Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yep, it ain't been real good. Just dumped 2k on thermostats and 2 temp sensors, 1400 on a fuel pressure switch, 900 on a def sensor, 800 on 2 tires. 1400 a month on trailer. The list goes on. And on...
    Good thing fuel is real cheap , right.

6. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    there’s nothing cheap or easy about it. To many people think they can just drive the truck, they have no idea how to run a business.

i’m not trying to bust your chops or be an Ahole, i’m being real with you. If a $2,000 bill is to big of a hit, you’ve already lost and just haven’t realized it yet.

7. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    OTR performance makes a tool that you can use to reset your aftertreatment data and reset fault codes and derate, plus force a regen. It was $500 when I bought the tool, but it looks like they've upped it to $800. Their diagnostic subscription might not be a bad thing to have if you plan on troubleshooting and repairing things on your own.

The tool has offered me peace of mind, so that if I get an emissions code or derate, I can deal with it on my own time. If I'm under load, I can deliver it and fix the issue later. If a sensor goes out, I also have another option rather than wait for back orders or pay price gougers. Then again, you may not ever need it. I'd at least find out what it's going to cost to have them reset your learned data and perform a regen, then determine where to go from there.

Diesel Dave Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.