"Clear The Shelters"

Discussion in 'Other News' started by Grumppy, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    This weekend, August 19, is "Clear The Shelters" Day. Finding Forever Homes

Its actually a week long event this week but they are pushing Saturday August 19. Its a nation wide pet adoption event to obviously "Clear The Shelters" nation wide.

If you're considering something for home, some shelters also have farm animals, like horses, goats, chickens etc in addition to the usual dogs & cats.

If you have been considering adopting a pet for your companion on the road, this just may give you the incentive to do it this week/weekend. Some (I am assuming most or all) shelters are offering incentives on adoptions during the event.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    A little tip. Chickens don't make very good trucking companions unless you keep them in a crate. And whatever you do, don't travel with a male chicken - aka a rooster.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    A21CAV, Chinatown and 48Packard Thank this.
  4. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    A fantastic idea!

Some of my best companion pets were shelter rescues. Hard to find a more loyal dog oitside of shelters or rescue.

I'm currently serving as a forever home to four shelter rescue cats and one breed rescue Malamute.

48Packard Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Wonder what's available at the homeless shelter for wayward women?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  6. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    My Uncle Sam had a parrot named Sammy that he had riding with him for about 20 years. He got it while in the marines deployed to quam during ww2. They let him keep it on base and amazingly he was somehow allowed to bring it home after the war

7. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    How many chickens do I need to have in a cage where the passenger seat would be to be eligible for the livestock hauler no eld exemption?

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ive already been there done that with a truck pet or two It was good until you discover it's not able to be a house cat mentally. Or something else.

As far as Pets, I don't think I will take on any more in my life time. They can be excessively expensive in the Vet if something comes up sick. Thinking back on my last pet, which was one of the best pets I have ever seen in this life time, I don't think I will ever find another that will do as well as that one did.

So, no pets for us any time soon, if ever.

9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    When I was in the Navy one of the sailors sneaked his pregnant girlfriend onto the ship and hid her. We left Philippines heading straight for the states. When we got to San Diego, she simply mingled with the visitors and other guys wives came aboard then left with them. No one noticed because so many of the other sailors wives were Asian, she blended right in. When either Reagan of Bush Sr. granted amensty to millions of illegals, she put her name on the list and was approved.
    Does that count?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    Gunner75 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.