Clearance lights, probably a dumb question but I'll ask anyway.

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Mr. Cob, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Mr. Cob

Mr. Cob Light Load Member

Howdy All,

I have got my 379 all setup to be my next large RV trailer tow vehicle, I am now in the process of building and installing a bed behind the sleeper that will be used to carry my Smart Car. I want to add some of the oval shaped clearance lights on the sides of the car hauler bed.

Looking in all the chicken-light catalogs the ones I am interested in come in two different lengths, 6.5" ( 6 1/2' ) and 6.625" ( 6 5/8' ) the width and height of the lights are the same, these two lights are aslo made by the same company. The prices seem to be very close to each other, so I am trying to figure out why one light is an 1/8 of an inch longer then the other.

If anyone can tell me if there is a quality difference between the lights or just for informational purposes why in the heck they would make two lights seemingly identical to each other but one being a tad longer then the other I sure would appreciate it, thanks.

Dave

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Caterpillar Cowboy

Caterpillar Cowboy Heavy Load Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Wyoming
    Is one a grommet mount and one a flange mount?

4. Mr. Cob

Howdy Caterpiller Cowboy,

They are both flange mount. The reason I am asking the question is that whoever installed the lights on my truck used both sizes, maybe different shops carry different lights, I don't know. As I am adding lights I'd just like to go with the better lights if there is one. The other thing I was thinking was maybe different year trucks used different lenght lights for some reason, my truck is a 2001.

Dve

5. Zigzag777

Zigzag777 Medium Load Member

Mar 25, 2013
    Down Yonder
    Suggest you stop at the nearest chrome shop, and see them for real. LEDs of course, quality, and brightness vary tremendously. As does metal finish, chrome on steel or stainless.
    Just ask here for a location nearby.

Klleetrucking Thanks this.
  6. Mr. Cob

Howdy Zigzag777,
    I live on the western slope of the Cascade Mountains, in Washington State, the only chrome shops around here are in the form of a catalog or the internet. There are regular truck shops within 50 miles or so but nothing like some of the chrome shows I have seen while traveling. I was hoping someone had experience ordering these lights from a place like Amazon. Here's a link to the lights I am asking questions about.
    This is the 6 1/2" light.
    https://www.amazon.com/Partsam-Trai...22170218&sr=8-5&keywords=peterbilt+379+lights

This is the 6 5/8" light.
    https://www.amazon.com/Partsam-Mark...2170218&sr=8-16&keywords=peterbilt+379+lights

If anyone has used these lights and can offer an opinion on them I would appreciate it, thanks.
    Dave

7. Zigzag777

Zigzag777 Medium Load Member

Mar 25, 2013
    Down Yonder
    Hi there Mr Cob,
    Here’s a few more, there are many more styles. These sites were the easiest to navigate. I just picked out a couple of styles for you. I know Iowa 80 has a huge store, but they both do online. Also noticed that there were no reviews on Amazon for the items you listed. Can’t say that these are better, probably all made in China.

Oval Flush Mount LED Lights Big Rig Chrome Shop - Semi Truck Chrome Shop, Truck Lighting and Chrome Accessories
    (Chrome on plastic)

Peterbilt Lights: Peterbilt Style LED Clearance Marker Light | Iowa80.com | Iowa80.com
    Iowa 80 (This one has stainless steel bezel)

Have fun shopping!
    ZZ

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  8. Mr. Cob

Howdy Zigzag777,

Your a man after my own heart, enjoy spending other peoples money :) Seriously thanks for the links based on price I am going to assume those are higher quality lights then the one that are selling on Amazon. Now I have more research to do.

Dave

9. Old mark

Old mark Light Load Member

May 22, 2016
    The chrome shop on I-5 exit 88 has a pretty good selection of lights. Only place I have found in western Wa.

10. Mr. Cob

Howdy Old Mark,

Thanks, I'll make note of that location.

Dave

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.