Clutch ajustment now possible replacement

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by RepoweredRookie, Jul 25, 2022.

1. RepoweredRookie

RepoweredRookie Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Hello, did a clutch adjustment to 1/2 inch, had to back it off a little cuz pedal stuck to floor. Still having problems getting into 6th gear (10 speed Eaton Fuller). I assume its time for a new clutch, do you guys agree with this? Thank you for any responses.

1.45 M miles, 1999 Frtlner Century, Eaton Fuller 10 speed.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    Not sure what the clutch would have to do with shifting into 6th?
    If your free play is good and clutch break works good I wouldn't be concerned.

4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Pedal stuck to the floor? I'd inspect the linkage. Sounds like its worn/misadjusted and about to cam over at a pivot point.

When you say issues getting in to 6th, is it an issue physically getting the stick into 6th? Or is it an issue with it being lazy on the range shift and acting like its in neutral?

5. RepoweredRookie

Apr 16, 2019
    AModelCat I appreciate the help. I think it’s a lazy range, I often have to keep pushing pedal in and out to find 6. I will shorten the play with the linkage tomorrow and see if it helps.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    If the stick falls into place properly but the transmission acts like its in neutral, its likely a range issue. If the stick doesn't physically go into the 6th position without excessive attempts at rev matching then its more than likely not a clutch issue.

7. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    Really don't think the clutch is your problem. Think aboot it, why would the clutch be a problem only in 6th gear? If it was a clutch problem it would be trouble in every gear. And you don't even need the clutch to shift gears

8. RepoweredRookie

Apr 16, 2019
    OK so you guys helped me figure out its not a clutch issue or linkage issue, which sucks because that either means its a transmission issue or operator issue. I do have a bad habit of wanting to shift into that #6 gear too early. Well I’m hoping I’m the problem. Thanks for the feedback!

9. RepoweredRookie

Apr 16, 2019
    Or maybe I’ll just skip #6 lol

10. Magoo1968

Magoo1968 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2021
    St Malo mb
    Skipping 6th won’t help if it’s a range selection issue it will be 7th that is hard then..

lester Thanks this.
  11. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Are you preselecting the range in 5th before putting stick into neutral to go into 6th? If not. Please do try that. And maybe try pre selecting a few seconds earlier to give the trans time to respond if its a lazy solenoid issue.

Dino soar and RepoweredRookie Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.