Clutch brake combo is the worst - but so easy (for other people)

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Metro4050, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Metro4050

Metro4050 Bobtail Member

Feb 23, 2014
    We did straight line backing in CDL school today. First time in a truck. I did pretty good, didn't hit any cones or swing out. Take off was good but my braking is ATROCIOUS. I step on the clutch so hard my leg shakes. I didn't know you were supposed to put it on the floor. If you push the brake pedal in even a little bit you're getting thrown forward. And the truck is old. Any tips on how to get better? My trainer says I'm going to be great at driving but I doubt it with this issue. Those are the basics and I can't master them.

austinmike Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jwhis

Jwhis Heavy Load Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Don’t clutch to the floor unless you are at a standstill. As for the braking don’t push so hard lol

4. Jwhis

Jwhis Heavy Load Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Also you’ll appreciate that braking power with a loaded trailer. It’ll make sense and feel normal then.

blairandgretchen, Dan.S and Metro4050 Thank this.
  5. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Take it slow man, as you said it was your 1st time in a truck. I sure as heck wasn't pretty my 1st couple of months. Just take it slow and steady.

Dan.S and Metro4050 Thank this.
  6. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    My left leg felt like a wet noodle my first day. Our trucks were old too. But Instructor said when you get a job with a late model truck the clutch will be like Butter. And he was right. Hang in there -

Truckermania, Dan.S, tscottme and 2 others Thank this.
  7. Metro4050

Metro4050 Bobtail Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Maybe that's why I was braking so hard, I might have had the clutch on the floor BEFORE a complete stop. I get back in the truck Monday and I'll try a few different techniques. I'm putting way too much strength on the clutch to keep it down but the truck is an older Kenworth (T700) I think. Shifts like an old Mexican Dump Truck even when done right.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your assistance. At least I can back.

8. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

The clutch pedal isn't meant to be pushed to the floor UNLESS YOUR ARE STOPPED AND SHIFTING into the gear you desire for forward movement, or before shifting into reverse.

EVERY ROOKIE ALWAYS BEGINS LEARNING TO SHIFT SEMI-TRUCKS BY PUSHING CLUTCH PEDAL TOO DEEP.

ONLY PRESS CLUTCH PEDAL AS DEEP AS REQUIRED TO SHIFT GEAR. Typically, all clutch assisted shifting, WHILE MOVING, is using maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of clutch travel. The first 1/3 - 1/2 of clutch pedal. You only press clutch pedal fully down AFTER or WHILE stopped to get into your starting forward or reverse gear. You NEVER push clutch to the floor while moving. The clutch brake is activated when you push clutch pedal to the floor. IF YOU PRESS CLUTCH PEDAL MORE THAN NECESSARY YOU WILL GRIND THE GEARS.

Dan.S Thanks this.
  9. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Took me a while to adjust to a brake pedal that hung from above, to one that hinged from the floor.

My ‘95 is hinged on the floor - felt like a rookie after 13 years driving. Totally different feel.

Took at least 3 weeks to get it right.

Don’t be discouraged.

rustyswife and tscottme Thank this.
  10. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    There is no clutch used while shifting or coming to a stop.

It's only used when stopped and putting in to forward or reverse.

11. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    If you're in school or taking the driving test at the DMV or some companies, you #### well better use the clutch for shifting and stopping!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.