clutch in 670 not releasing

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by jlawall, Jul 4, 2011.

1. jlawall

jlawall Light Load Member

Jan 29, 2011
    wapwallopen pa
    I have checked the fluid in resevoir. Full and have never had to add. If I push pedal to floor when stopped tranny grinds when trying to get into gear. Shut off engine, shift into 1st,start engine truck wants to creep ahead as if cltch is partially engaged. This happened once before in stop and go traffic on Cross-Bronx, 1hour to go 1mile,but problem went away and clutch functioned normally for past 5 months till today.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    That occurance 5 months ago may have been your warning sign.

Mileage ?

Transmission ?

4. jlawall

jlawall Light Load Member

Jan 29, 2011
    wapwallopen pa
    There are 600,000 miles on the truck. 18 speed. I just slid the slave cylinder out and cleaned out some sand and crap along with a piece of a spring. I expect what has happened is another piece of spring is lodged between the discs. Not looking forward to r/r clutch this afternoon. Wondering if Iremove slave cylinder and push clutch lever by hand if I'd get any additional travel, possibly enough to let piece of spring dislodge and drop out?

5. Trudger

Trudger Light Load Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Beaverton, Oregon
    I had a 770 a few years back and even though the resevoir was full, the fluid wasn't getting through. $400 later at the shop, it got through...lol

6. midwestconnection

midwestconnection Bobtail Member

Jun 23, 2011
    Detroit Lakes, Minnesota
    We just bled mine once for a lot of pumps and got it somewhat better and then after driving it a few miles we did it again a bunch of times and it works perfect now.

They occasionally get air in the system

My truck was laid on it's side and all of the fluid ran out of the reservoir cap that had a crack in it, that's how mine got so much air.

It took a lot of pumping and brake fluid to get it right and then a new cap.

7. Trudger

Trudger Light Load Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Beaverton, Oregon
    'least it worked.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.