Choosing a mechanic for the most thorough repair?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by missjhawk, Dec 12, 2018.

1. missjhawk

missjhawk Medium Load Member

Jul 24, 2013
    nutbush
    I have cummins isx 450 My clutch just went out I have a steady mechanic but lately he has gotten lazy I called him told him the problem he say it's my clutch going out he say clutch is 850 labor is 1100 that's it but he I asked 4 time frame never got steady answer the only thing he could tell me that he was swamped I had a friend was down for a week just 4 a hood swap at this shop. I called a shop that fixed my truck when I was broke down in tn he said clutch was 650 labor 1250 but he went on to say he would resurface flywheel, replace rear main seal and then inspect everything b4 he put it back together he called said I had 2 pieces starting 2 break holding my stick to my clutch or something he said replace it or he can put original part back on he went on to say that if part break I would have to call a tow truck and the parts are like $70 I replaced parts then he took a extra day to spray my truck to let it soak to keep from breaking stuff this guy said he worked for kenworth for 15 years he has the cummins software vs the other shop don't the only thing this shop is like 350mi away from my house I took my truck here because my mechanic has gotten so lazy I feel he would not have went the extra steps this guy did I'm not sure if new shop is just a good mechanic or doing extra to earn my business I think I made the right choice I pick my truck up today

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Anybody that would keep a truck down for a week just to swap hoods I get away from them fast. Your friend would have been better to just get a couple guys to swap it. It doesn't take long at all.

Yes absolutely when the clutch is done the flywheel should be resurfaced and the rear main seal should be replaced. Other things should also be looked at, but it sounds like you made a much better choice than that first schmuck.

It always amazes me how people like that stay in business.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Not just that, it amazes me how many owners tolerate this bull.

5. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    And keep going back. If you don't have respect for my business. Its a 2 way street

HopeOverMope and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  6. Jeffe

Jeffe Bobtail Member

Dec 9, 2018
    Hi

7. DYLAN_131

DYLAN_131 Light Load Member

Nov 21, 2018
    No offense to you or your "mechanic", but I'd part ways with him. At least for the working relationship. It doesnt sound to me that he appreciates your business much, and definitely doesnt respect you or your truck.

Also, an entire week for a hood is ridiculous.

As a business owner that services trucks for owner operators, I cant believe he is being employed. Unfortunately, piss poor mechanics who dont care are becoming much too common and tolerated. Sorry you got bad service from a "mechanic".

He gives us a bad name...

8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    A lot of those components mentioned in the original post (I'm assuming you were refering to the cross shaft and release forks) can't be inspected properly unless the transmission is out. I wouldn't throw your regular guy under the bus over that.

9. DYLAN_131

Nov 21, 2018
    But wouldn't the regular guy know that he needs to drop the trans to inspect the parts? I'm not being argumentative nor trying to be an #######. I am just getting disappointed with the horror stories I've heard lately. Some, not all (I recognize their are good ones left) mechanics need to start being upfront with customers AND know what they can and CANT do right. In my opinion as a mechanic, I think it's a disservice to the customer to not be upfront as far as labor steps needed, if the mechanic feels comfortable with the work requested, etc.

Again, just a thought.

Wish you the best.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  10. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I don't run a mechanic shop, but with other businesses that I have been involved with I found that it's best to let people know exactly what the job consists of and what exactly you are going to do. Sometimes that can be the difference between getting the job or not getting it.

I think communicating to a customer what the job is, what else may need to be replaced, and the cost and time frame for all of it is very important.

Rideandrepair and Tug Toy Thank this.
  11. DYLAN_131

Nov 21, 2018
    Exactly. Having worked in a shop, that would've been nice to see but it didn't happen. So, I started my own. Customers are relying on the truck and mechanic to work as they should. Hell, to combat the trust issues people rightfully (in most cases) have, I even do a pre-repair ecm reading, show it to the customer, prove what needs fixed/replaced, do the job, show old parts (if needed) then do a post repair scan to prove it was done right.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.