Clutch Rod bushings

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Dino soar, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    The part on the right goes to the clutch shaft onto the transmission. The part on the left is the rod that hooks up on the firewall that the clutch pedal is hooked to.

The rod on the left the bushing is worn into an egg shape. Do I have to buy a whole new rod to replace that bushing? How bad is it if it's put together and it is egg shaped like that?

The piece in the center is a small piece of tube that goes over the bolt and it goes inside of that bushing. That piece is also worn out. Would something like a brake line work for that or is there somewhere else to get that?

20190729_200634.jpg

Rideandrepair and jamespmack Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Looks like off a FLD. You can buy just the end link last time I worked on one.

4. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    It’s called a heim joint.
    Just buy another one and screw it in the clutch rod.

xsetra, Rideandrepair and Dino soar Thank this.
  5. Dino soar

Dec 8, 2017
    How about that little steel bushing?

Can I use brake line for that or is there somewhere else to get that?

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  6. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    If you get the proper size heim joint or spherical rod end as some call them I don’t think you would even need that bushing.
    I am wondering if someone added the bushing to compensate for a worn rod end?
    What size is the bolt that the rod end slides on ?
    3/8 inch maybe?

7. spsauerland

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Heim joint is @ top correct?

8. Dino soar

Dec 8, 2017
    The heim joint is at the top. That bottom bushing there that connects on to the transmission lever is a rubber bushing and I think it has almost like a plastic inside of it.

Can I replace that with a heim joint? Or can I get that actual bushing on the bottom of the rod from Freightliner?

And then there's that little steel bushing.

9. spsauerland

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    I think bottom one comes from Freightliner as assembly with the steel sleeve in it. I think that Atro offers just a replacement poly bushing with steel sleeve.

Rideandrepair and Dino soar Thank this.
  10. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Just looked closer at your picture.
    It looks like that is clutch rod end that is quite wide (wider than a heim joint) that has a wide rubber bushing with a steel insert where it goes over the bolt.
    If it’s the same as the Columbia the top rod end screws out and is replaceable but the bottom end is part of the clutch rod it’s self.
    I repaired the non removable end on mine by pressing in a bushing from a automotive shock absorber and then pressed in a steel insert to go over the bolt.

11. Dino soar

Dec 8, 2017
    Its an fld120.

In the photo it looks like there is a nut on the bottom of that. I don't know if that's made into the rod or if that bottom end comes out but I'll take a look at it tomorrow and I have to call Freightliner anyway for some other things so I'll see what they say.

Rideandrepair and jamespmack Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.