Cold feet..

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Kevw45, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Kevw45

Kevw45 Light Load Member

Aug 1, 2019
    Hey everyone, so I've done everything there is to do to become an o/o, up to the point of actually buying a truck, which is the last thing. Insurance, and registration, will be done all at the same time... I'm staying intrastate. I've paid a subscription to DAT Pro to watch the market on freight, and I have determined I can pull this off, but it's contingent on some things that are out of my control, and it's those things that could so easily snap my business's neck.Those things scare me so much, I'm actually considering leasing a truck to a company instead, but I just want to get some feedback before I make a decision. First of all, my one and main concern comes from certain comments I've read, left by o/o's on broker's ratings. I've read more than once how o/o's have booked a load with a broker, only to find out later that the broker double booked it because they didn't take the post down after booking it with you, and found someone to do it cheaper. How prevalent is this kind of business practice when looking for loads on DAT? What scares me about that is, if you book a load to be picked up in the morning, so that you can deliver it, and have enough time to get a backhaul, that could all go to hell over some shady business practice like double booking loads. We're talking upwards of potentially $700 loss for the lane I want to run, or $500 minimum... Who can afford that? I'm really surprised to be reading such comments from a paid service website. I would expect things like that happen on Craigslist, but on a paid subscription website? Does DAT not work for their subscribers to protect them from these sort of things from happening? It's a black mark on them as well. What guarantee do I have once a broker books a load with me, none? If that's the case, might as well go to Vegas and roll the dice at the craps table for everytime you book a load. Any feedback helps, thanks...

2. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Heavy Load Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Subscribe to alexander winton newsletter.. Theyre a freight debt collector. Awcollects.com. when you book a load, call alexander winton and baxter bailey with the brokerage MC and have them see if anything comes up. If theyre sheisters just call back and say your mom had a heart attack and they need to repower the load.

If you see the same load posted by 10 brokers, try to find something else. If you cant, dont be afraid to say something to the agent.. Polite but firm as a deterrant. "Hey i see theres a dozen of you trying to move this lumber. Youre not gonna send me for a 90 mile deadhead and then put it on another truck .. make me waste my time filing on your bond right?" Its like a beware of dog sign. A warning, dont mess with me, i will retaliate.

Do you live in a big enough state to survive on load board intrastate only?

SoDel, KB3MMX and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  3. Kevw45

Kevw45 Light Load Member

Aug 1, 2019
    Yes sir, I believe so... I live in Texas.

86scotty and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  4. FoolsErrand

Sep 15, 2017
  5. Largecar359

Largecar359 Road Train Member

Aug 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Did anyone talk to you about Rate conformation sheets? That is your security blanket for brokers cutting load out from under you. It’s kinda important

SoDel, crocky, 86scotty and 3 others Thank this.
  6. Kevw45

Kevw45 Light Load Member

Aug 1, 2019
    I've heard the term, and I just suspected it's information you get after booking a load, but I was not aware it's any kind of binding paperwork.

7. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Yes,I was gonna say- This guy wants "Intrastate" Freight hauls....Yet is brand new to ndustry as a business entity.

You gotta pay your dues first before intrastate.....everybody wants "Intrastate" Home daily.

As for Brokers- Best advice I can give you is AVOID them at all costs- Find a shipper or buyer directly.....
    If you want to pull a flatbed- Lumber buyers and wholesalers will be more than happy to work with you directly...

If your a Van- Buy a few trailers-Put your sales pants on..And Find a few Shippers in your area and give them a few trailers to load...You'll get business that way.

People that know me personally in this business know that im a straight shooter and give solid advice.

8. FoolsErrand

Sep 15, 2017

Alright. The double booking situation is a real problem but it is a few steps ahead of where youre at right now.

Under what authority are you gonna run this freight? A carrier packet and then a ratecon are your spot market contract. If its not in the ratecon it doesnt exist. They say $900 no tarp 1p1d on phone but ratecone says $700 tarped 2 stops.. Thats what it is. It is your contract on the job so read it line for line.

rachi, KB3MMX, Dino soar and 3 others Thank this.
  9. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Dat just lists the loads, it is not ebay, they do not follow up with the load.
    Unless it is somewhat of a new problem, it is not that common, in 10 years I think I had it happen twice, it is not even what we called a double brokered load back then.
    The only time I had it happen was on Alaska bound freight where somebody offered to do it several thousand bucks cheaper, I can't imagine a broker risking their rep for a hundred or two a whack, but maybe so.

10. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I think the paying your dues part is correct.

You're gonna take some lumps.

I wouldn't be a chest beater if I were you. You may due that to a good broker or agent that's having a bad day.

I figure $40K a truck to have available until you get paid for your first loads.

Wespipes, KB3MMX, FlaSwampRat and 2 others Thank this.
  • Draft saved Draft deleted