Cold weather idling 2018 Cascadia DD15

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by nwdirect, Jan 8, 2023.

1. nwdirect

nwdirect Bobtail Member

Jan 8, 2023
    I run Alaska trips through canada and bought an 18 cascadia with dd15 (save that opinion lol) because i needed some better mpg. That being said in 10 to -45 degree temps the truck stays running 24 hrs and when sleeping 8 hours I find the 600rpm idle the motor cools down and oil pressure is very good and the dpf filter doesnt fill up and no dpf regens but if i high idle the filter gets full and regens and obviously uses a lot more fuel. If I am able to stay warm at low idle with my webasto heater and keep good oil pressure 40 or 50 psi (the main reason i idled up was to increase oil pressure in other trucks) without plugging up filter and regen why wouldnt i want to idle at 600 and save the fuel (fuel very expensive up north $8-9 gal usd)?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    Why not install the Apu?! I believe newer engines dont like idling

4. North Pole Nightmare

North Pole Nightmare Medium Load Member

Dec 15, 2021
    I idle at 800-900 rpms.I don't shut the truck off anywhere north of Edmonton unless I'm plugged in at a terminal.
    Older engines,years ago,didn't do well at low idle in extreme cold.I try to keep the engine around 180 degrees when idling.
    A winter front may help in extreme cold.

Albertaflatbed Thanks this.
  5. PureLeafTea

PureLeafTea Light Load Member

Mar 21, 2013
    One reason would be the manufacturer says don’t idle much and if you must idle - idle it up.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.