College On the Road? (OTR Drivers)

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by huckstah, Feb 25, 2013.

1. huckstah

huckstah Light Load Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Hey, for all of you OTR truckers out there, do you think it's feasible to attempt going to college part-time while being on the road? I'm referring to online classes, of course, since attending a campus would be absolutely impossible. How many hours a day do you actually spend working, on the clock and off the clock, and would there be a couple of hours to spare for studying everyday?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. critters

critters <b>Late For Dinner</b>

Jul 16, 2011
    traverse city,MI
    you can get a few hours a day,internet strength at the truck stops aren't always great,so your best bet would be your own hot spot

huckstah Thanks this.
  4. Palazon

Palazon Road Train Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Tacoma, WA
    OTR wise, I normally have 3-4hrs a day goof off time. Thats driving 8-10hrs and running again in the am. I'm bringing my guitar out on the next run.....

huckstah Thanks this.
  5. Dryver

Dryver Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Yes, It would be a good use of your time. Most drivers have down time whether it be forced because of the DOT clock or between loads. There would easily be time to study as part of an online degree. From my experience 2-3 hours a day is 'free'. I spend it reading or watching TV in my cab. Other than loading/unloading process you can only drive 11 hours before having to stop for at least 10 hours, plus most loads are timed at 50-55mph when dispatched so if its a freeway haul you will always be early and have more 'free' time.

huckstah Thanks this.
  6. david123abc

david123abc Heavy Load Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    You'll have plenty of time. This reminds me, I need to find a program and start back. Also some companies have tuition reimbursement programs, even if they don't plaster it everywhere. Contact your hr dept. to see.

huckstah Thanks this.
  7. sherlock510

sherlock510 Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Intercontinental.
    It's possible, but, you might not feel like looking at a computer screen for a few hours after already being up for 14-16.
    Or imagine you have a test/paper due and your hotspot won't pick up a signal.

I personally think it would be too much of a headache.
    Maybe a couple classes here and there but not a degree, would take waaay too long lol.

8. WitchingHour

WitchingHour Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    It can be done, but I'd have to concur that going all out for a degree from inside a sleeper probably isn't all that feasible. When I went OTR the last time, I knew I wouldn't be on the road forever, and that the other half would be expecting me to put my GI Bill to use and get back into school. So I went ahead and knocked out some of the general education classes while I was on the road.

9. huckstah

huckstah Light Load Member

Oct 25, 2012

I have about 2 years worth of credits built up already, and I'm only 3 semesters away from finishing my degree. I was hoping that I could atleast take a few credits, maybe 2-3 classes per semester, to atleast chop away at some of those credits, and possibly finish my degree in 2 years at that rate

10. WitchingHour

WitchingHour Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    A lot of it depends on you, as well. If you have the drive and self discipline to do it, you're better off for it. The few credits I took were difficult for me, whereas being in a classroom made things much easier. I get on the computer, I wanna update Facebook, I wanna send instant messages.. before long, you're sidetracked, tired, and have to get back up and rolling in a few hours. Your case might be very different.

kerosene jockey Thanks this.
  11. al_huryn

al_huryn Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    I would think that although the internet is great, getting into a library and doing some actual legwork for a paper would be necessary. That might be a little tough at times...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.