Columbia glider s60 crankcase vent

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Elroythekid, May 30, 2020.

1. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    I have a Schneider glider, 2012 Columbia with a s60. Detroit.
    My vent piped goes down on the passenger side of the engine to just below the axle. When I stop or idle at night the fumes in the cab after a while are unbearable. Its definitely coming thru the hvac system, it is instant without doing recirc, but even with recirc in it eventually will gas you out.
    Does anybody else have this issue?
    Where do your vent pipes go?
    Will a filter like this, routing the fumes back to the engine work?

[CV4501-04L]Parker Racor CV4500 OPEN SYSTEM- NO BYPASS

Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    If its smoking that bad out of the blowby tube at idle, sounds like its in need of a freshen up rebuild at the least. Shouldnt be breathing that heavy at stoplights unless you just came off a long pull.

Opendeckin Thanks this.
  4. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    Blowby is normal for a 680k engine, uses zero oil between changes. Nowhere near needing a rebuild. I had a classic a couple trucks ago and it had the same pipe affair, but with the ling hood and different hvac setup it wasn't an issue. I'm looking for other columbia glider owners to see where their pipe goes? Did the builder install a filter, how does it work?
    Edit
    And its not smoking at all, just the fumes buildup under the hood.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  5. Gliding ProStar

Gliding ProStar Heavy Load Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Waxahachie, Texas
    I've had this issue before with some other Detroit Series-60 14.0L engines. The blow-by coming from the vent can be unbearable at times.

So, here is what I have done. I purchased a plastic plumbing union from a local hardware store like ACE or Lowe's/Home Depot. I press it in to the crankcase vent and put a hose clamp on it and then I use a piece of 1" flex hose/tubing and extend the crankcase vent and ran it alongside the transmission and zip tie it in place. It totally eliminated the problem for me.

Just getting the crankcase vent further away from the HVAC fresh air inlet changed the situation and I haven't had any issues.

6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Driving a dump truck.

I routed alllll the way to behind the rear drives

One idea that would be nice is to route in to the exhaust.

Or the air filter for reburn.

7. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Blow-by on my Series 60 looks excessive compared to some motors, but my engine is healthy. The oil made a huge mess on the front of my right side fuel tank. I put an oil trap on the blow-by tube and it has helped some. I liken it to owning a Harley. They all mark their spot, but that is a small price to pay not to have an emissions motor.

Elroythekid Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.