Combo Vs Aluminum. Let's Hear Your Opinion.

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by DSK333, May 18, 2018.

1. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    From what I understand aluminum is great for weight savings but not so great on the extra maintenance required in regards to cracking. Combos seem to be the best of both worlds between one extreme (all aluminum) to all steel. Share your thoughts with me owners of one or both styles.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    Depends what you do with it, where you run and what your budget is as to which is better.

4. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    Predominantly loadboard freight (heavy), SE to MW mostly and budget is between 10-16k roughly.

5. I'd go combo with nail strip,. so you have options to nail boards for tongues of little trailers ect.
    look for a 2010 in that price range

DSK333 Thanks this.
  6. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    Steel frames rust. Any combo step im that price range is likely to need sandblast and paint. Can’t comment on flatbeds

snowman_w900 Thanks this.
  7. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    I prefer aluminum because they won’t rust. Downside is they cost more.

8. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    Also if it's damaged it's not as easy to have it fixed as if it its steel/ lotta people can't seem to weld aluminum in my experience.

rank, kylefitzy, OLDSKOOLERnWV and 4 others Thank this.
  9. snowman_w900

snowman_w900 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2010
    I agree with @Ruthless

I just welded new pipe spools and tarp bar (rub rail) on my aluminium trailer. It's not as forgiving as working on a steel trailer for sure.

That being said, I prefer my aluminum trailer over my steel. No rust, lighter weight, looks shiny when she's clean.

rank, kylefitzy, OLDSKOOLERnWV and 6 others Thank this.
  10. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I agree with snowman and ruthless. But I have to pay someone to weld my aluminum trailer.
    I am no good at it.
    I could and did weld on my steel combo trailer.

I prefer my aluminum, for the lighter weight. No nailers in deck.

Advantage to the combo steel frame. I could fix myself. It was a 98 and had plenty of small cracks I fixed .
    Personal preference.

I haven't heard that aluminum trailers crack as much as steel. Depends how heavy your loads are and if you slow down for them railroad crossing or hammer down.

Good luck.

stwik, DSK333 and snowman_w900 Thank this.
  11. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I have one of each. Fontaine 53' combo step and MAC 53's aluminum step. Both are 10' upper with 43' lower.

The aluminum MAC is lighter,.. but not by as much as I had hoped it would be. By the time I put my ramps, boxes and gear together,.. its barely 950lbs lighter than my Fontaine.

The Fontaine is a 2013 and I've had it since 2014. Bought it from my carrier. The MAC I ordered in June of last year and finally got it in Oct. Brand new. Both are great trailers.

The Fontaine is starting to show its age a bit. The side braces at the step are starting to rust,.. as are some spots on the frame. I may end up swapping trailers with my driver this winter season and spending some time cleaning up the Fontaine.

The only other issue I've had is also with the Fontaine,.. My driver had the wheel studs break off.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Needed 2 new wheels, drum and hub. Not 100% sure what caused it. The tires on that axle had about 90k mi on them. I bought them before I hired him,.. and I did have the lugs retorq'd and did not have any issues. Talking with my mechanic, he thinks because the hubs are sealed,.. that the oil level got low and the axles just over heated and caused the lugs to stress. All 4 axles now have the clear hub covers where you can see the oil level.

The other theory in my mind is that that axle had a steel wheel on the inside and aluminum on the outside. Steel is going to heat and expand differently than aluminum. Both sides have all aluminum now.

Fleet Pride has the plain jane aluminum wheels at $179 each. Just a FYI.

As you guys know,.. I still do heavy equipment. (Not as much as I used to,.. but I have a guy in the auction business and he and likes to call me for some reason) And both trailers do just fine,.. loading and unloading. I strongly suggest adding the rear DOT bumper brace if you get the ramp kit and plan to load heavy up the ramps.

The Fontaine likes to creak and groan more than the MAC does. The other thing I noticed is that the Fontaine combo likes to flex,.. as in twist on uneven surfaces,.. like going up into a driveway for example,.. more than the MAC does.

Neither trailer trailer has any cracks on the frames. I had the Fontaine inspected back in April and we went over that trailer with a fine tooth comb, front to back. Only issue was some wires chaffing. Also,.. I have done heavy 40k - 44k steel coils on both trailers. And they both do just fine with them.

Other than that,.. I think you should get what you can afford and hopefully find the specs that you need to make things easier.

Hurst

SoDel, rank, DSK333 and 5 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.