Coming into a hill too fast, no warning signs

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Reaper'sTrucking, Feb 13, 2022.

1. Reaper'sTrucking

Reaper'sTrucking Light Load Member

Jun 1, 2020
    Been running into quite a few 6% and 8% grades with no warning signs not even grade signs at night, sometimes i end up coming into them a little fast because my perception at night isn't too good. Driving a 05' pete 379 with a 6nz, jake's don't work all that well. When it happens i've been dropping 10mph, going up 5, dropping 10 till i get down to the gear i need. Anyone have any other methods they use? Live in washington and haul all west coast so i imagine there are quite a few of you who run into the same situation. When i look to the good book of knowledge it says 5mph down in 3 seconds, if that doesn't work then go destroy your truck in the sand box.

Badmon Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    Old rule night driving, if unfamiliar with road, slow down, be prepared for the unexpected 25-35 mph curve.

Slowing down 10 mph, release gain 5, hit brakes again just heats brakes up quick.
    Steady constant pressure and not be going to fast.

4. Reaper'sTrucking

Reaper'sTrucking Light Load Member

Jun 1, 2020
    Most of the roads are single lane highways though. Trucks and Cars pile up quickly behind. Also don't want to hold up everyone on a 65mph road.

bentstrider83 and tscottme Thank this.
  5. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    They should’ve got up earlier, they expect a truck to be big and slow

6. pete781693

pete781693 Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Don’t let a 4 wheeler back-up behind you pressure you into a mistake that you cannot recover from.

7. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    I was taught and still use ,
    The opposite of constant pressure

I get on the brakes and drop some speed and then off the brakes so they can cool .

the brakes should always work twice or three times to haul you down to about 10 MPH .

uncleal13, supergreatguy and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  8. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    There is a saying that has never been false. You can take a hill/curve/grade too slow many times. But you can only take one too fast. ONCE. I've had other trucks bee otch at me going to slow. Don't matter. I still got to the same place in time for my loads.

O.Henry, pete781693, MACK E-6 and 4 others Thank this.
  9. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    It's probably happened to everyone at least once. Come over the top unaware of a steep grade ahead of you then start heading down the hill too fast with a heavy load, having trouble slowing down enough to drop a gear, and wondering if your brakes are going to outlast the downgrade. Not a good feeling.

10. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    My rule of thumb is I never let no 4 wheeler pressure me into anything! Ever! Now I know everyone driving a four wheeler is not the enemy, but #### sometimes it sure seems that way. Honestly the little brats will all get over their tantrums. Drive safe, they can wait

11. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    Well, getting on brakes, then letting off the brakes, let’s air hit them, heating the pads.
    This isn’t with brake fluid, which can overheat and glaze like in a pickup/car.
    I’ve been done every mountain in the US, and was taught steady pressure, if you have a brake application gauge, don’t exceed 10, if you do, you’re going to fast, use slow down, slowly enough to let up some off the pedal, but not all the way.
    I’m still alive and haven’t even had to think of using a runaway ramp or that “we’re all gonna die!!”
    But if you really wanna know how to not smoke a brake going down a mountain, here’s the best advice, in which I was told.
    So I’m quoting here, “How do you not smoke a brake on a mountain, hmm, don’t go down one.”

Now remember, worn out thin pads, heat up faster than a good thick brake pad.
    And this is for going down mountains, not hills, but by slowing down 10 mph, letting off to gain 5, which 80k+ which will be seconds, then hit brakes, and repeating, you’ll soon be...

and once the brakes get that hit, they’ll glaze, so they need to be changed, they’ll heat quicker and have less stopping power.

pete781693 and tscottme Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.