common courtesyy among truckers?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by alohaspirit, Mar 16, 2018.

1. alohaspirit

alohaspirit Bobtail Member

Mar 15, 2018
    pennsylvania
    Do say at night time mostly someone passes you do you flash them over? Idk I do it's a nice gesture. Crazy thing is no one every says thank you. Andbwhen the same thing happens to me. I always say thank you same thing in trqffic or hell even day light.. am I missing something? I notice tankers especially and then flatbeds don't care. Also do you look at driver passing you and wave? Or vise versa I don't don't do this as would be distracting but I'm trying to be nice to others

6wheeler Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. crxdc

crxdc Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Las vegas NV
    I prefer people not blind me with the high beams. I only thank people that dim lights. The high beams on today trucks are like the sun beating down on my eyes and it sucks.

4. alohaspirit

alohaspirit Bobtail Member

Mar 15, 2018
    pennsylvania
    Yeah duh I have a thing where it turns then off completely

6wheeler Thanks this.
  5. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    The dims are even blinding on most of the new stuff

Justrucking2 Thanks this.
  6. Wingnut1

Wingnut1 Light Load Member

Jul 3, 2012
    The Mitten
    My trailer isn't wired for a courtesy flash so I use my 4 ways as a thanks. I generally don't give a thanks to those flashing their high beams unless they make a concerted effort to make the flash as brief as possible and I always give a thanks to those who cut their headlights out completely. High beams should not be used as a form of communication, imo. Except for that one time on black ice, I'm very confident that I know where the rear of my trailer is at all times and really don't need anyone's help in knowing when to cut back over.

7. J Man

J Man Medium Load Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Middle of nowhere
    I don't normally flash people over, and when I do I just use the headlight interrupt instead of using high beams. I don't think most drivers want me to flash them over and if they do something stupid while changing lanes I don't want them telling the authorities I flashed them over.

But there are times I do it. When getting passed by another supertanker or double who is having a slow time gaining on me, I'll flash 'em (or CB) when he's cleared me, if he has cars coming up behind him that will have to slow down. Or occasionally in bad weather when we are crawling along and I know the other guy would like to come back over as quickly as he can but can't speed up. Stuff like that, but its a case by case basis. When someone flashes me I usually flash my trailer marker lights twice to say thanks, if my trailers are wired up so that works anyway. But honestly, most of the time I'd rather not be flashed over.

8. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    You can turn lights on and off for a split sec. high beam flash is not needed.

9. thelushlarry

thelushlarry Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    glasgow ky
    The only one I want flashed by is women and even some of those not so much.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    Roger McG, Texas_hwy_287 and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  10. Smut

Smut Light Load Member

Jan 28, 2017
    Houston
    I pull tankers and my company's policy is to never flash trucks over. I guess somehow it can come back to bite you in the event of an accident. I'll flash you over if you're holding up traffic and trying to pass but most trucks blow the doors off of mine.

11. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I do it all the time. My dad let me do it as a kid, so I still do it now. I drive a truck with separate switches for the headlights, trailer marker lights, taillights and cab marker lights.

Dan.S Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.