Common Jobs After trucking?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by WhyDriveTruck, May 25, 2016.

1. WhyDriveTruck

WhyDriveTruck Light Load Member

Sep 1, 2013
    Detroit
    what are common Jobs After trucking drivers choose?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Here in illinois they have forklift jobs paying as much or more as a lot of driving jobs. Soon to be McDonalds is going to be a good paying job.

4. Pintlehook

Pintlehook Road Train Member

May 2, 2013
    I think some drivers stay in the industry in a different capacity. Dispatching, planning, routing, managing, truck purchasing, etc.

This crazy business is the only thing I've ever done (unless you count my grocery store time in high school) and I think I'd like to sell cars or houses in my next life. I'm 43 years old now, my 10 year plan (kids will be finished with college by then....hopefully) is to get out of trucking altogether.

5. David_Simpson

David_Simpson Medium Load Member

Feb 23, 2016
    many times i see a job opening for a yardman. simple enough to do, no road driving. but still need that CDL -A license.

Safety jobs may be available, dispatching as well. Sales are a possibility too, but i mean sales as in calling customers, getting new accounts.

truck sales, new/used may also be an avenue.

trailer leasing may be yet another.

truck repair shops, that need a service advisor to talk with the truck drivers or o/o's.

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  6. justa_driver

justa_driver Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Tennessee
    Maybe start your own business based on Hobbies and/or skills you pick up over the years? Thats what I did, though not officially retired from trucking yet but only about 6 months away.

TequilaSunrise and mpd240 Thank this.
  7. Clyde07

Clyde07 Heavy Load Member

May 28, 2013
    I hope to do something else one day. My financial advisor informed me that if I stay on my current course, I'll be able to completely retire in 64 more years.

8. justa_driver

justa_driver Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Tennessee
    LOL think Id change my course?

9. strollinruss

strollinruss Road Train Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Montgomery, TX
    Testing anti depressants. And/or the beds at the looney bin.

10. Little Eddy

Little Eddy Medium Load Member

Mar 8, 2014
    Judging by conversations overheard in the tv lounge I'd guess many will become expert witnesses of testimony regarding forensic evidence or at the very least they will sit on the board of directors for the Law and Order franchise.
    Also a great number will go back to their secret life as a spy, Black Ops SOF, or studio musician who has played on 1000s of recordings but those thieves in the industry black listed them and stole their killer licks..."I showed Jimmy Page the opening for Stairway to Heaven."

11. belowspeedlimit

belowspeedlimit Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Oil country
    Usually leave a job to make more money. McDonald's fry guy.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.