Companies that hire the heavily tattooed

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by slopoke1013, May 31, 2022.

1. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    If you want to "travel", the railroad ain't it.

My railroad experience is 20 years in the past, but from what I've read, things haven't improved any.

You're on 90-minute call 24/7/365.

Your "travel" will be from your home terminal to one of the terminals "at the end of the line" for your subdivision.

End of the line, crew bus takes you to the motel, you get 8 hours rest, (they can call you in 6), then back on a train, if you're lucky.

If not, you stay at the away terminal not geting paid for a couple days. They have really bizarre layover pay rules, and even if you're entitled to it, good luck getting it.

Then just before you go on the layover pay, you pile in a crew bus with 9 other guys who are about to go on layover pay, and get driven back to your home terminal.....

Where you are called out 6 hours later to take a train out......rinse and repeat.

When freight slows, they either lay people off, or suspend them for work rule violations for 3 to 6 months. This is why you buy the "termination insurace" offered by the union rep. It keeps money coming in while your case is going through the grievance process, and while you're jumping through hoops with your state unemployment board.

Also the national contract for train and engine service workers expired two years ago, and negotiations aren't going well. They can only strike under certain narrowly defined circumstances, and can still be ordered back to work by the President.

Also, CSX is requiring new hires to be fully vaxed.

You could check out Sperry Rail Service, that runs hi-rail trucks for rail inspection, or Loram, that runs the rail-grinding machines. Both require lots of travel. Good luck, and apologies for the long post.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    I would apply wherever interests you and see how it goes. Too many variables.

CAXPT and austinmike Thank this.
  4. runningman0661

runningman0661 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Clover, South Carolina
    A company doesn’t worry about someone going into a customer with pajama bottoms, a wife beater, flip flops, and smelling like death. A few tattoos shouldn’t matter, there are companies that will look past the tattoos.

stwik, BackwoodsGA, CAXPT and 3 others Thank this.
  5. BackwoodsGA

BackwoodsGA Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Elgin Nd
    As long as you're not an axe murderer or a convicted chomo...you have no worries.

austinmike, OLDSKOOLERnWV and CAXPT Thank this.
  6. nredfor88

nredfor88 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2019
    USA
    That tends to help the chances for sure.

stwik and CAXPT Thank this.
  7. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    I worked for SMX years ago. Dude all tatted up at orientation got sent home. Depends on the co.

8. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia

I spent 14 years as an outside contractor with csx, moving and running equipment all over the east here. I found it odd you couldn’t have any finger rings, but you could wear a chrome 3/8” log chain around your neck. I know and understand the rule with no rings, I don’t wear one today for that reason, and I wouldn’t wear a necklace for the same reason….

9. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    The injuries, or worse, that I’ve ever seen around machinery there was jewellery or loose clothing involved. Donnie Do-Rags big brothers pants wound up in a gear set or a shaft isn’t going to have a happy ending in most cases.

beastr123 and CAXPT Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.