Companies that hire with No Experience

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by JRex, Aug 21, 2019.

1. JRex

JRex Bobtail Member

Jul 30, 2019
    I will be relocating to Tampa Bay Florida area before the end of the year. I have been planning on getting my license on my own and am looking for suggestions of companies that will hire straight out of school, no experience. I am looking for local driving as I have children I don't want to miss out on time with. My worry is paying for this out of pocket, only to have everyone turn me down or make me do 6 months to a year of OTR anyways. Any thoughts or names of companies I can contact before moving are greatly appreciated. Or, are there any companies out there that might reimburse for school (I'll be going to school in California and transferring my license after the move) or pay for my training without doing OTR? Thanks in advance for any input.

FlaSwampRat and Chinatown Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You don't have to have any OTR. You can get your CDL by "on-the-job-training."
    @FlaSwampRat can give you guidance for the Tampa area.

4. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    Lemme know when you are in town. We can get you some info on a few places to call.

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  5. FlaSwampRat

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    I also thought I would add that if you show up here without a CDL that's not a problem either. Plenty of places that do dock to driver and Tampa truck driving school and Roadmaster in East Tampa if you wanna go the CDL mill route so you have options.

Texas_hwy_287 and JRex Thank this.
  6. JRex

JRex Bobtail Member

Jul 30, 2019
    I have researched schools out here and in FL. From what I know, I can do school out of pocket here way cheaper than FL (which schocked me). I am willing to pay for it myself if it means no OTR and I can go to work ASAP after the move. I am just super nervous about having doors slammed in my face. However, I am all about saving money so if I can train for free that would be great. Do you know if the dock to driver programs make you work overnight shifts?

FlaSwampRat and Chinatown Thank this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I would not engage any kind of so called dock to driver fro-frou. If they have a truck and need a driver TODAY that's you. Otherwise string you along 6 months... not going to happen.

Texas_hwy_287, FlaSwampRat and JRex Thank this.
  8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Several beverage companies will hire you for OJT to get a cdl. The work is hard, but the money is very good and you're home every day. Several of those jobs available in Tampa area.
    If you get a cdl in California, it's easy to switch it over to Florida when you get there.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  9. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Find a job BEFORE you go to school. Half of companies have Tuition Reimbursement. A few companies have their own school. Pick a company like you will be joined at the hip for a year, not like you are looking for a "date" for a weekend. Know before you go.

Check out Craigslist & indeed.com research the company including talking to drivers that work there now. No exceptions.

10. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Same goes for Maine. Seems California drivers license is considered its weight in gold (figuratively speaking). I brought my California license to Maine in 1985. Had me do a written and handed me the new license.

Texas_hwy_287 and JRex Thank this.
  11. FlaSwampRat

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    Since you wanna run local there is a good chance you will be working nights. Like @Chinatown said go beverage to work days. That's what I do (I work nights by choice) call Bernie Little Budweiser in Lakeland FL. They do dock to driver, dayshift, brand new Kenworth t680 trucks, and you will get a workout everyday moving 170lb kegs of beer lol. Do you know where you are moving to? Like an exact address? If so you can pm it to me and I can further help, because where you live is gonna dictate where you can work due to traffic. This is one of the most congested areas ever due to everyone moving here. My wife was working 21 miles from home for a while and it was a hour and fifteen minute drive just to put it into perspective.

Texas_hwy_287, dwells40 and JRex Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.