Companies that pay a high percentage of the load...

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by NoobiDriver, Jul 21, 2017.

1. NoobiDriver

NoobiDriver Light Load Member

Sep 11, 2014
    Greetings,

I was wondering if we could get a list going of companies out there that offer a high percentage of the load's gross pay, say anywhere from around 80 to 90% of the load. I've come across a few ads from companies claiming such numbers, but I'm not sure about their legitimacy so I figured it was a safer bet to throw out some feelers around here.

Thank you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    The higher the percentage the more cost they put on you. Like cargo and liabilty, there ain't no free ride. The 75% lease has been around for 50+ years.

4. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    Don't get caught up on a higher percentage.
    Too many other factors to be considered like whether they pay fuel taxes ,scales ,tolls and plates and permits ect. ect.
    In addition to that in general a higher percentage doesn't always translate into higher revenue.
    Example:
    Would you want ?
    80% of 1.00 or 65% of 2.00

slow.rider and Justrucking2 Thank this.
  5. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    98% of $2.00 a mile or 67% of $3.00 mile. which puts more money in your pocket...?

it's more than just what percentage you get

6. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

Some people can't see the forest because of the trees, so to say

OnTheLevel357 Thanks this.
  7. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Very few companies paying a high percentage like that are anything other than a gimmick. You're going to get charged back for cargo and liability and every other little expense. I'm at a good one that pays 87% + surcharge with hefty fuel discounts pulling my trailer or 77% + surcharge and they pay the reefer fuel on a nice newer reefer when I pull their equipment. Paid in 48 hrs on clean scans. I don't have any chargebacks. I am required to carry $500,000 OCC/ACC and bobtail insurance. I do cover any fuel tax owed. They figure it. Off my truck's miles from the trip sheets I fill out and turn in, not a fleet average. Last quarter I got a dollar credited to me for fuel tax lol. It doesn't get any better than that.

It's rare to find a higher percentage company that doesn't nickel and dime you to death (or rather Grant and Benjamin you to death) with a myriad of expenses. Also a higher percentage does no good if their rates are no good or only kind of freight you're able to sniff out yourself is cheap ####. I'm not saying who they are because I'm not a recruiter and they don't need to get swamped by a bunch of yahoos. They do exist just read the fine print and look around a lot.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    slow.rider and blade Thank this.
  8. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    The percentage of the load, or mileage pay or whatever is but one small part of the equation. Do they pay you 93% of the load but charge you for trailer rental or some sort of insurance? Do they haul real cheap freight and 90% isn't enough to cover movements? Who pays for the plate? etc etc etc.
    It is just like the silly "sign on bonus" that attracts some drivers. Even after examining the entire pay package, you won't really know what is going to happen until you lease on for at least a year, sooner if it is a lousy company.

slow.rider Thanks this.
  9. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    You ought to know that from the contract before you even sign on. What I like about my arrangement is the only deduction that comes out of my settlements is for fuel. Also every quarter if I owe some fuel tax or am due a credit that will be on one of them. That's it. No fee's. No gotchas. I take that back. There is one fee I have to pay. That's to load an EFS check from the fuel card to pay lumpers. Those checks cost a buck every time I load one. Or I can pay cash to avoid that. No swipe fees for fueling. None of that. That's how it should be.

blade and Turner079 Thank this.
  10. Killinmiles93

Killinmiles93 Bobtail Member

Dec 13, 2017

That makes no sense, if you have your own truck and trailer and the insurance is like 200-250 a week. Would you rather gross 10k and let them take 2500 or 1000? 1000 being at 90%

11. Killinmiles93

Killinmiles93 Bobtail Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Why would the rate change? Bad logic

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.