Companies with Legitimate Weekly Guarantees?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by insipidtoast, Jan 25, 2023.

1. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I'm not so sure guaranteed pay is necessarily a good thing. Reason being, is that a driver for my company drove for ShipEx prior to coming over here. I believe at the time, guaranteed pay was 1155 weekly. Here's the issue he presented to me: if you run 3500 miles in a week, you're working some of those miles for free. It's a flat rate. He left me under the impression that there isn’t much accessory pay. I personally think guaranteed pay should be looked at case by case. Is the guaranteed pay a starting point, and what ever you run after that are you compensated for? Or is it a flat rate regardless of what you run? I think for a regional or short outfit, I think guaranteed pay would be perfect. For long haul....mmmmmm I'm not sure.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. insipidtoast

insipidtoast Heavy Load Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    Hah. Yeah you're right about that. Very hard to tell.

4. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    I would rather be paid on salary than deal with a minimum pay headache.

You just need a line drawn on what is expected for that salary.

Say i will pay you $1,500.00/wk and i expect 60hrs work in six days.

i want it laid out how many days are expected, as well as hours per week. You could hit 70hrs in five days or 40hr in 7 right? So lay it out for both so that we’re all on the same page.

By being paid salary, neither milage or detention matter any more. Sitting around waiting on a load, or going on the Great American Trailer Hunt to find an empty….don’t matter. You’re still paid for that time away from home.

Miles + accessorial pay can be a pain in rear end. Fighting for every cent. Having one department tell you to charge for every minute over two hours, only to get push back from another for wanting your 15 minutes of pay.

insipidtoast Thanks this.
  5. insipidtoast

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    Whoa! Are you sure about that? That seems very high.

6. insipidtoast

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    Great idea. Glad to know I'm not the only dreamer.

GreenPete359 Thanks this.
  7. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Nope, not sure, just passing on info I received from one of their drivers. Call Oakley directly and get it in writing if you want to be sure.

tscottme Thanks this.
  8. insipidtoast

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    Yes, that's what I've seen.
    There could be some weird exceptions out there though, like the one you pointed out.

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  9. insipidtoast

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    According to their website that's for work out of Chicago and their PA terminal. There website is really weird though. For otr it says up to $400 per day guarantee. I'm assuming that must be some sort of NYC local dispatch loads or something.

10. UturnGirl

UturnGirl Road Train Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Texas
    There's a gimmick to it. 350 if got a load. Nothing if you don't so you might sit for a couple of days and get paid nothing.

11. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    The driver I spoke to was at the Champlain NY drop yard. He didn't say whether he was dedicated regional or OTR. Best option is to just call or email the main office directly. Website info may not be up to date.

They pretty much do the same work as Indian River and it's not hard to hit $100K here which works out to $320ish per day (they only pay 6 days a week) so I wouldn't say their claim of $350 per day is entirely out of reach. Again, there may be safety bonuses etc tied into that.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
    lual Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.