Company backing test 45 & Alley dock?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Dakota1127, Jun 15, 2024.

1. Dakota1127

Dakota1127 Bobtail Member

Jun 14, 2024
    Have to pass an alley dock and 45 degree back for a job. Never did a 45 in school only straight line, offset and alley. Are the company test like the dmv test where u have only so many pull ups and points or is it just getting in the box and not hitting anything?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    Probably some of both......

-- L

Flat Earth Trucker and TX2Day Thank this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Just do whatever you're asked. If you fail, plenty more companies to choose from.

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    One company I applied for had me do a road test.
    I was tipped off that a dispatcher would test me and to be sure I fastened my seatbelt. I was told the dispatcher giving the road test never wears a seatbelt.
    I was told to go to the truck and wait for the dispatcher.
    I noticed a spray can of Pledge furniture polish in the truck; a day cab with spring ride.
    So, I put a good coat of Pledge on the naugahyde passenger seat and wiped it down quickly.
    I passed the road test and it only lasted a few minutes because the dispatcher was so busy trying to keep from being thrown out of the passenger seat.

6. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    depends on the company. I've never had to anything, but go around the block and bump their dock.

don't even know what an "alley dock" is. lol

7. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Don't hit anything and you'll be fine.
    1. Drive drivers side past the spot.
    2. After your 5th wheel clears the spot, immediately turn right.
    3. Go half way between where you are and the obstacles in front of you then...
    4. Turn hard left. Pull forward until you can see the rear of your trailer in the hole.
    5. Put it in reverse and let the trailer slide into the hole, making corrections as you go along.
    6. And there you'll be.

I doubt that it will be that difficult.
    Good luck.
    Perhaps @gentleroger might have some better advice.

P.S. mind your rear trailer tires instead of your trailer. The trailer will go wherever the tires go.

8. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Opus hit it in one.

Alley and 45 are pretty much synonymous. If we want to get pedantic, there are differences, but most company Safety Critters won't get hung up on what the meaning of 'is' is.

I'll add - do your set up and GOAL, then GOAL again before the trailer goes in between the objects - EVEN IF YOU DON"T NEED TO. If whomever running the tests objects to the unnecessary GOAL, quit on the spot.

9. 4wayflashers

4wayflashers Heavy Load Member

Mar 14, 2014
    I’ve never had a road test I felt they wanted me to fail.

One the tester said make a left at the light and I went right past. I thought he meant the next one. He was pissed but we eventually got back to the yard. I passed.

Another one I was coming down a hill and we’re bsing he stopped talking and he’s like are you going to stop for that stop sign? I had to get on the brakes pretty hard lol. Passed.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.