Company Driver Becoming Owner Operator

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by sassytrucker88, Jan 14, 2020.

1. sassytrucker88

sassytrucker88 Bobtail Member

Jan 14, 2020
    Hey y'all, I've been a company driver for 1yr now and looking to becoming an owner operator. Being new to the oo side, should I start with getting loads from the load board or buy a truck then lease it under a company? If leasing under a company, what are good companies to lease under with the hopes of growing a fleet there? Also, I've heard freightliners are good quality trucks with lower overhead cost. So what's an effective way to finding a good used freightliner under 35k?

Thanks in advance!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Ok, your enthusiasm is commendable, but hold on. Don't worry about the truck, what's wrong with the company you're at now? You have high hopes at probably the worst time in history to own your own truck, much less a fleet of them. Unless you have hauling contracts for 20 years, better forget about your own truck. Insurance and taxes will absolutely kill you. Freightliner? Add truck repair costs at $100/hr. to the list. My best advice, is don't do it.

4. sassytrucker88

Jan 14, 2020
    Throughout the 1yr of being a company driver, I've experienced a bunch of bs from companies. I figured since I'm business savvy with some cash set aside why not get my own truck. Growing my fleet will come later on, it's not something I'm looking to do right away.

5. sassytrucker88

Jan 14, 2020
    Why do you think this is the worst time to get my own truck?

6. Doealex

Doealex Medium Load Member

Feb 21, 2018
    Because there’s no good paying loads right now. Company BS is nothing compared to your ruined credit/marriage (if you’re married) and subsequent financial/emotional loss. If big boys with decades of experience, lots of cash/assets and relationships with shippers are folding what makes you think you can make it? Do you have something that they don’t (besides 35K :D and a year of experience:rolleyes: )?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    farmerjohn64, 201, D.Tibbitt and 3 others Thank this.
  7. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Good quality & Freightliner should not be used in the same sentence.

8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    how are you business savvy?

Swine hauler and Doealex Thank this.
  9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Become a member of www.OOIDA.com which is a business website for the owner-operator & small fleet owner.

10. Swine hauler

Swine hauler Medium Load Member

Jun 21, 2019
    If you are business savvy you should know about the following considerations before starting your enterprise........ But I wonder if you are.

The economy...... We are at The apex of the economic cycle. Why try starting a business when it is likely we will soon be entering a period of economic decline.

I'm sure you know that the trucking industry is saturated with truck capacity, but that freight volumes are declining, resulting in favorable conditions and rates for the shipper. Not so much for the trucker. Business savvy trucking companies are going bankrupt left and right at the moment. Your plan is to..........?

What part of the industry does your business plan identity as under served and ripe for exploiting? HH, tanker, HM, flat, step, reefer, dry van, . General freight, ag, energy, forestry, military, etc etc

It only makes good business sense to spec and purchase a truck that fits your target industry.:
    What gears, transmission, rears, wheelbase, HP , cab configuration . Pre egr ,or not, pre def or not, what years were emissions the most problematic, and which engines.

What region of the country. It only makes good business sense to integrate your truck specs with your target region, along with your target segment. Mountains, flat, high speed western states, congested East coast, ??

Being business savvy requires an understanding of operating costs, like insurance, 2290, ifta, quarterly filings. Etc.

How do you rate yourself against these metrics.?

11. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    This should be good. I'm going to watch

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.