Company Driver Becoming Owner Operator

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by sassytrucker88, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    I’d say I know alot about this buisness, been on all sides, shipping/recieving, loading and unloading, and then in the truck as both company and owner of my truck.
    Notice Its owner, not me and the finance company.
    I paid mine off, didnt go broke and go back to a mega starter

D.Tibbitt and dwells40 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    Thats the ones who wont “listen to reason and think everyone can do it.”
    I have known alot of real people, get a truck and then lose either it, their family, or both.

One guy I know they just shut his truck doen because he is 3 months behind, they remote accessed and killed it.
    (Yes youcan pull start it) so I told him that and he was able to get back home (if course they can kill it again)

Most try to say, “Now is not the right time and you dont have enough experiance”
    And others go on defensive with things like..
    Freight is freight, you haul totes? I haul totes.
    You haul foodstuffs? Oh guess what So do I.
    You haul onions? ..you can have them they stink.

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It would be pretty amusing to engage in a little juvenile comparison between this load and that load.

I had a load that it was such a difficult load nothing more needed to be said about it. they had to hire Mr Bean to work out the practical issues associated with such a unwanted load. //tease

5. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    There's opportunities in our jobs section.

dwells40, bryan21384 and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  6. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    20190712_143654.jpg

7. Doealex

Doealex Medium Load Member

Feb 21, 2018
    Isn’t this an issue with the student loan bubble we have now? Kids get duped with “you can be anything you want to be”. And hello mr. Sanders...

Midwest Trucker Thanks this.
  8. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    I'd recommend going to Schneider cause Landstar is bad.

dwells40 Thanks this.
  9. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    If the OP was business savvy they’d be selling truck insurance to aspiring O/Os. Now there’s a racket. They raised my premium for this year just because they can.

Being an owner operator is much more than business savvy. It’s also being a mechanic, a self reliant, and at times a lowly peasant. You can sit home all you want when you aren’t getting your $3.00/mile all miles, but eventually you’ll be eating the drywall then burning the studs for heat. Until you get your own niche in the vast world of trucking you’ll be struggling somewhere. Equipment breaks, and markets dry up. Or at least that’s what I’ve learned. I’m only doing it until I can get out of trucking completely.

Swine hauler Thanks this.
  10. chimbotano

chimbotano Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2013
    You absolutely right. However , it also takes DISCIPLINE . So , having said that . The discipline will lead you make decisions base on your needs.
    So, my minimum is 3 dollars , but it depends where am going , I charge more. Because I believe is not only my needs it is also the needs of other O/O. If I haul cheap loads, I’m going to screw other o/o . So it is also a pride .
    Even though I paid my equipment , doesn't mean I’m going to give it away for cheap , do you understand?

Swine hauler, feldsforever and Doealex Thank this.
  11. Doealex

Doealex Medium Load Member

Feb 21, 2018
    Again, different strokes for different folks...;)
    Everyone has different minimum rates I guess. I look at my labor (same rate as a company driver), fuel, IFTA, tolls, registration, taxes etc... The main problem I see new owners or owner wannabes missing in their minimum rates formula is asset replacement ratio (ratio between capital expenditures (from the statement of cash flows) and depreciation and amortization expenses (from the income statement). And that rate is getting lower and lower every year for owner-operators.

TexasKGB and Swine hauler Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.