Company Driver Becoming Owner Operator

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by sassytrucker88, Jan 14, 2020.

1. feldsforever

feldsforever Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2019
    It just seems like most of the random inspections in Ohio and new york. Don't have big names on the trucks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Doealex

Doealex Medium Load Member

Feb 21, 2018
    :banghead:
    My assumption is they profiling ;). Small new company - more chances of finding something wrong. large established company - less. If the company has more than 10 trucks FMCSA requires them to hire a safety officer (person who goes over driver log book, maintenance etc on a regular basis).
    PS. Again, we don’t have the stats, they do. Don’t chew me out on this:banghead:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    Farmerbob1 and Swine hauler Thank this.
  4. feldsforever

Nov 22, 2019
    I didn't know this.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  5. Swine hauler

Swine hauler Medium Load Member

Jun 21, 2019
    you shouldn't be getting tickets if you are doing things properly. Make sure everything is correct each and every day, all day.

once you have a few clean inspections your score with them will go up, and they will spend less time on you.

keep having violations and they will hound you every chance they get.

6. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I think buy this. When I worked for small companies, I got inspected much more frequently. They dont even have prepass in the truck. Now that I am working for a company that's larger, I barely have to cross a scale. It shouldn't matter but I do believe that DOT is more likely to find violations with smaller carriers and/or owner operators. While many do things the right way, it's just as many that do things the wrong way. That's what ruins it for the small guy. The big reputable companies will get things fixed without a lot of fuss. "Just head over to TA." "Find the nearest Wingfoot or Boss Shop." "Park somewhere, we will send somebody out ." Then many small outfits fuss everytime something goes wrong with the truck, as if things don't wear out. I mean you run the equipment everyday. Bigger companies do everything by the book, and make sure they are in compliance with everything. I am not saying small outfits don't but I'd be willing to guess that wherever the data is, it supports it. I definitely see smaller outfits getting harrassed by DOT more. Ohio and New York are definitely examples. New York will do inspections by the toll booth in Buffalo

7. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    You're right.....the trick is getting the clean inspection

feldsforever and Swine hauler Thank this.
  8. feldsforever

Nov 22, 2019
    I don't know how to crop and quote. Just reply. But at the toll both.

It was car only but this happened at a new hapshire toll yesterday. I did not take the picture Resized95FB95IMG951579202985294.jpg
    Rochester nh

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  9. feldsforever

Nov 22, 2019
  10. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Where does it say in the rule book that a motor carrier is required to have a designated safety officer? Would you please provide the regulation number. Thanks

starmac and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  11. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    I doubt it is a law. However, simply keeping up with all the regulatory crap likely adds up to the point where a company of × size needs to hire a person just for that job.

I would not be surprised if fleet insurance rates are also reduced if a dedicated safety officer is hired and does x, y, and z according to how the insurance company wants it done.

Doealex Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.