Company Driver, Home on Weekends re vehicle mileage

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by msjs91011, Feb 22, 2017.

1. msjs91011

msjs91011 Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2014
    So, I drive 76 miles round trip 1-2x per week to get back and forth to my job. I am a company driver that spends 4-5 nights on the truck away from home per week. Can I take the standard mileage deduction for those miles driven for work purposes? I'm looking at almost 2000 miles (worked there for 5 months in 2016, July to EOY) form 2106 and turbotax make it seem like i can.

answer: Commuting miles are the miles you drive between your home and regular workplace. These miles are viewed as a personal expense and aren’t deductible

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    page 14...Look at the drawing.. Home to main job = never deductible. Driving from home to work is not considered work purposes.

Now you can take M&IE for those days you leave/return and the full days... page 6/12

Attached Files:

KillingTime and msjs91011 Thank this.
  4. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Only can be pulled off if one is O/O. Using the personal vehicle to get to and from the truck could then be classified as business use, and mileage deduction applies. A company driver, Mark is right on.

KillingTime Thanks this.
  5. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Even as a O/O, commuting is NOT deductible. Now, if you have to go to your office to pick up paperwork, then that's a business purpose. Even if your office is at home.

Or deliver paperwork from the truck to the office (i.e. trip packets, POD"s, log books, etc.)

Or call on prospective clients, or meet with mechanic, or shop for a new truck.....

Or run to the store to pick up oil or supplies, that's deductible. The two miles from the store to home are then not deductible.

In other words, make the run for a business purpose, and note that in your personal mileage log.

6. djbattle

djbattle Light Load Member

Jun 27, 2014

7. djbattle

djbattle Light Load Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Your better off to write off the entire payment of the car financed .drive a beater to and from work and say the car with payment (dont forget to include insurance and fuel) is only used for going to and from work that could be an easy 9k write off.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.