Company driver needs to buy staps, and chains??

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Oldironfan, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    This seems like it should be illegal since there is no deductions as company driver now? Or am I not correct? I dont know why Carriers try to push this on drivers?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mpd240

mpd240 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    Kinda like having to buy own tools when your a mechanic.

4. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    They usually pay more for tarping than the other places that provide it.

5. jon69

jon69 Medium Load Member

Jun 19, 2018
    Everything should come with the truck.
    Check all that equipment when you receive the truck.

If the stuff is not there tell them and refuse to move the truck. Give them X amount of time to send you funds or tell them you are walking.

Do not ever pay for any of that stuff with your own money.

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If you are a flatbed man and need chain, binders, tarp straps etc etc etc, show up with the rig in the big yard they have and get the stuff from the shop. Do not leave the Main Yard without having everything you think you should have plus two more extra of everything.

You do NOT buy anything on the road retail. Companies can buy miles of chain at a better price than you can.

I remember my flatbed days I was constantly replacing everything at one time or another and quietly adding one or two extra for spare. 20 became 22, became 24 became 25 and then pause a while back to chipping towards 30 of everything. All of it in the shop office with the spare replacements of everything. Not a dollar out of my pocket.

Edit. The one thing I DID buy now and then is the tarp straps the bungee cords with the hooks and a plier to bend at least one end over. Sometimes I had 4 of the rubber hooks on each binding to hold everything down north of lubbock in storms.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  7. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    I'm not a flatbedder. But looking into some carriers this issue bugs me.
    That being a company driver they want you to buy all tools. Without reimbursement.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    If I remember correct Prime does this. I think it's intended to make sure you value the tools more and take care of them. It's a terrible practice, but not uncommon.

stwik Thanks this.
  9. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    That is all supplied by company. Straps wear, bungee cord break. No surprise companies can’t find drivers of any quality

x1Heavy, Dave_in_AZ, stwik and 2 others Thank this.
  10. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Mayby because if they get ready to quite, they sell the equipment and say it was stolen?

DSK333 and thaistick Thank this.
  11. sherlock510

sherlock510 Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Intercontinental.
    Never had that issue, the straps and chains were always at the terminal. As far as chains they kept a record so people don't try selling them, straps were unlimited.

Must have looked at the price of straps one day and couldn't believe they were $25.

x1Heavy and stillwurkin Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.