Company Driver to IC

Discussion in 'Superior Carriers' started by ncdriver1, Apr 28, 2016.

1. ncdriver1

ncdriver1 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Absolutely would have done it differently. I took a chance on the truck and it cost me a lot of time and money. Doing it over I should have waited another 3-6 months for that right truck to come along. I was a bit impatient to get out of a company truck and into something I could call my own so I went with what I thought would work.
    I'm currently negotiating with a dealer on a trade in for something much nicer, but I'm definitely taking a huge loss on it. But this time I'm making sure I know exactly what I'm buying.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rubberducky68

rubberducky68 Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Jefferson GA
    Yes. A little less money (maybe) but far less headaches. I thought about going the IC route when I was at Superior. Talked to a lot of drivers that had their own truck. They said it's basically a wash by the time you pay all your expenses, health insurance, etc. Most told me it was better to stay a company driver.

Another thing too is once you get at least 3 years tank experience you can find a higher paying company driver job. It took me a little bit but I found the unicorn I was looking for. Those 80k+ a year jobs do exist without the hassle of owning your own truck. It is nice letting someone else worry about paying for truck repair and maintenance. Just my 2 cents.

hey_serg, ncdriver1 and lagging Thank this.
  4. hey_serg

hey_serg Light Load Member

Apr 8, 2018
    exactly

5. hey_serg

Apr 8, 2018
    Can I pm you?

6. ncdriver1

Dec 3, 2012
    sure, hit me up

7. hey_serg

Apr 8, 2018
    man I think I screwed that deal up because it started a post I believe. What are the IC possibilities for being a regional guy out of Markham?

8. hasrem

hasrem Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2018

So if it wasn't for the maintenance, would you call it a successfull move?

Have you compared if the maintenance costs you endured would have been the close enough to the extra payment for the new truck?

9. ncdriver1

Dec 3, 2012
    Yes. On that first truck I spent over 50k in 20 months of ownership. That plus my monthly payment of $1100 would have been the cost of a brand new truck, which is why I dumped it when I did.

10. ttypewe4jim

ttypewe4jim Light Load Member

Feb 21, 2018
    NC assuming you are in a new truck now? How is things going?

11. yankatank

yankatank Medium Load Member

Feb 14, 2018
    one more to be 'watched'! lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.