company driver using truck when empty

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by joseph1853, Jan 20, 2018.

1. joseph1853

joseph1853 Heavy Load Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Waco, TX
    Thinking about ways to make some extra money using my company truck with flatbed to hall stuff back when empty. boss said if we wanted to get something in the areas we hall to to hall back when empty thats fine. so for instance if I bought a bundle of cross-ties for my garden or something I could use the truck to hall them back. of course this only pans out if the stuff I'm bringing back is something not available in my area or at least not at the price it is in my area or something along those lines. we run to houston, louisiana, colorodo, kansas, oklahoma, san antonio, corpus christi basically areas in and around texas. any ideas? i know that hauling a brokered load is probably out of the question so i'm thinking something i use my own money to buy and then sale in my area to people wanting to save on shipping from the particular area.. Any ideas?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    By law a load is a load. You will need to make sure you have the proper paperwork to haul that type of goods, the correct insurance, etc.
    All in all, if it's once or thrice a year doing personal stuff you'll likely be fine. If you do it regularly you will need to make sure all the proper paperwork is in order.

NavigatorWife and joseph1853 Thank this.
  4. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    i think there is a bit of a difference between giving a offer of yeah if you need to pick something for yourself and bringing it back vrs making a business out of it.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  5. joseph1853

Dec 12, 2010
    Waco, TX
    I agree.

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I would not do that.

You can get into so much trouble if something does happen. Claim? Who pays. You. Boss finds out what you have been doing with his stuff.. you pay. In fact you are leaning towards people being interested in those activities as potentially unlawful. You pay.

So much for potential profit. All gone and then some. You still pay.

If you have a little time to kill, take it for yourself and enjoy the local culture or activites you like.

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Well here is the deal.
    If it is a written agreement with the owner that you can use it to haul personal items with no responsibility for loses, not house hold goods, and it is in small quantities, you can do it.

If it is for resale, and say a few boxes of this or that, don't tell anyone what you are going to do, and do it.

If you expect to buy a trailer full of tomatoes and take them to say Chicago to sell, then you need to have to treat it as if it was a customer's load with a bol. If you get into an accident with it and lose the load, then you can't claim the lose against the carrier or owner.

By the way I have done both, hauled personal items I bought on the west coast home and bought produce at a truck load price and sold it at the market here in the state to a wholesaler.

8. joseph1853

Dec 12, 2010
    Waco, TX
    I wonder if there's any vegetables in the area's I'm going to that would sale in the central Texas area.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.