company drivers no more per diem 2018

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by orangepicker, Feb 15, 2018.

1. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    You can still deduct those unreimbursed employee expenses, BUT:

You must be a w2 employee
    You must itemize when you file
    You must have receipts
    You must first accept reimbursement from your employer if they offer it.

The per diem deduction also required that you itemize, but it allowed you to take a flat rate deduction per day without receipts. Now you need receipts.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JOHNQPUBLIC

JOHNQPUBLIC Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Central New York
    They've effectively ended it in practice as we knew it because any company driver spending anywhere near the previous flat daily deduction of $62 per day is doing something wrong

QuietStorm and xlsdraw Thank this.
  4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Can you direct me to the IRS publication that spells this out?

Can you tell me what form these are to be reported on?

5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    That's not why they did away with employee job related expense deductions but it's cute that's what you think.

First you're a fool for not taking 100% of a deduction the IRS allows.

Second. To believe that then you have to disregard the fact those employees also lost the ability to deduct specialized work relating clothing and tools, hotel expense while working away from home, etc

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  6. JOHNQPUBLIC

Apr 19, 2014
    Central New York
    I didn't say that is why they did it.I just said that is the result of what they did.

Never said not to deduct whatever you can.

My standard per diem deduction of $62 per day for every day away from home, as a company driver (no receipts required) was a $14,000 deduction in 2016, the last full year I was over the road. Are you trying to tell me that some work clothes, windex, paper towels and other miscellaneous expenses are going to add up to $14,000 per year? I am never going to come close to spending that kind of change in 1 year.

I also never said not to deduct whatever you can, even if it only adds up to a $1,000 deduction. At that there is still $13,000 that in my personal case is gone.

Work on your reading comprehension before you try to flame me.

7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Maybe you can work on your writing skills to better explain what you were eluding to about drivers taking $62/day in meal deduction and maybe this is why they took it away

8. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013

mmmmm... No. He was pretty clear. I think you just read it wrong.

JOHNQPUBLIC Thanks this.
  9. JOHNQPUBLIC

Apr 19, 2014
    Central New York
    I'll try harder next time. Maybe I can buy some writing skills books to help me do better. Since it would be for this trucking forum do you think they are deductible?

10. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    I'll see if I can find it...

JOHNQPUBLIC Thanks this.
  11. Slomosion

Slomosion Bobtail Member

Apr 11, 2018
    That may be, however, without statistics to back up what your claiming, I could easily suggest the same...

"I would say there are a lot of long time OTR drivers that always claimed the per diem and just filed for free online. Look around at them..."

The fact remains, that Per Diem as a removed option for truck drivers making less than $100,000 in 2018, they will not have the option to apply the deduction. Ask any truck driver doing taxes and per diem is the difference between owing the IRS and not owing the IRS.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.