Company drivers, would you haul hazmat for just your normal mileage pay?

Discussion in 'Hazmat Trucking Forum' started by Matt43324, Dec 24, 2018.

1. Matt43324

Matt43324 Light Load Member

Jun 1, 2014
    As the title says.... company I work for, needs hazmat drivers, for backhaups to support our dedicated account. I have my hazmat endorsement how ever i never told FM i got it, nor do I plan on it. You guys receiving extra pay for hazmat? If so, extra per mile? Flat rate amount of x amount of dollars per load? Just curious on what the "industry standard" is

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    You work for a trucking company but they don't have a copy of your current license?

kylefitzy, Blackshack46 and LoSt_AgAiN Thank this.
  4. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    When I was a company driver it was a extra 5cpm when I hauled hazardous materials.

5. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    There is no industry standard for hazmat pay. You need to research that during the hiring process and make it part of your decision process.

When I was with Swift they only paid a trivial bonus for a hazmat load. A few dollars. But since their pool of hazmat drivers was small I often got good long mileage loads that might otherwise have gone to a team or trainer/trainee.

6. Matt43324

Jun 1, 2014
    Got it about a month after I was hired

7. Matt43324

Jun 1, 2014
    I also run for a mega, with a very small pool. I knew from the get go they don't pay extra, hence why I never told them, nor will I run hazmat for free. I was just curious about others

Northeasterner and Woodys Thank this.
  8. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    As a company driver, our compensation wasn’t worth the trouble of maintaining the endorsement. Nor the frustration of being the only person available and having to sit all day waiting on that load.

But as a new O/O leased onto the same company, self dispatched. I’m not going to leave any money on the table. Especially since so few of our drivers even have the endorsement.

misterG, Northeasterner and Matt43324 Thank this.
  9. Matt43324

Jun 1, 2014
    That's my entire view on it. I have a lot of people telling me you don't get extra as a o/o so suck it up. I beg to differ, as a o/o you have more leverage...to a extent. I actually have a great working relation with my fleet supervisor, and often times find myself going over my FM's head. He absolutely agrees that hazmat should pay more, whether it be an additional xx cpm, a good flat rate additional pay per hazmat load, etc. You would think this guy was a lifetime driver himself, however he's never driven a truck in his life....his father drove an saw how much sacrifice it takes and made a promise to himself that he will never treat drivers like how his dad was treated. Some decisions are out of his hands unfortunately. If it was up to him I'm confident in him that he would pay very well. I just find it mind boggling how companies want all this but aren't willing to pay. I'd like to say it's safe to assume that the carrier charges extra for hazmat, so why not pass some of that off to the driver who is making the money for the company?
    Not to mention, out of curiosity for one week I treated each load as if it was hazmat just to get a feel for it,(it's common for me to haul under 1k hm, so I'd just use that hm sheet an pretended it was a placard load) looking in the hazmat book to verify placards an such, hazmat routing, etc.....it can be rather time consuming

SteerTire Thanks this.
  10. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    I haul hazmat and get paid the same as every other driver in the yard. Of course I don't haul enough to be placarded, so I don't even have the endorsement.
    As for working for a company that occasionally does hazmat, I would never let the dispatcher know. Kinda like I have a passport, but will never be driving a CMV into Canada. Well, not unless I actually get paid for the wait at the crossing...

Matt43324 Thanks this.
  11. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    I have a passport and never get sent to Canada. But the wait times you speak of, don’t exist any more.

More often than not, the trucks flow through faster than the car lanes now.

I go there every month in my personal vehicle.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.