Company Drug Tests

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Landstar2206, Jun 2, 2010.

1. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    I simply submitted a signed form to my employer, from my Doctor listing all the meds he had prescribed/given me over a 10 day period (there were a lot) prior to a drug test. The Doctors name, address, and phone numbers were included.

They filed it with my other paperwork, in case any flags were raised.

Not the norm, but I was aware of the test. Since it was pre-employment.

Piece of advise, NEVER ask if a drug will produce a positive or false positive. People automatically assume you're looking for a way out, even if you're not. I made that mistake....once and only once.

GasHauler Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    Very smart.

4. toofast82

toofast82 Light Load Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Illinois
    I would assume the company test is a standard "8panel"
    I would report any medical conditons to your company and what types of medication you are taking as said

5. phroziac

phroziac Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    toofast, if you would open the green book and educate yourself about this, since this is one of the most important regulations, you would know its a 5 panel test, as mentioned above. They check for pcp, amphetamines, cocaine, marijuana, and that other thing..

6. Scuby

Scuby Heavy Load Member

Mar 10, 2007
    The best thing to do is to report any prescriptions you are on or have used. The reason being some sricpts are on the list. Morphine and certain painkillers are a execellent example. These are usually for dental work or post operation pain. I don't know how long the indictators stay in the body, but it better to be safe than sorry.

7. phroziac

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    Yeah, morphine is an opiate. That's "and that other one"...couldnt think of the name at the time....

8. park

park Bobtail Member

May 31, 2010
    Buda, TX

Interesting,,,,,, sorry about posting OT but this has my attention. I thought in this day and age with all the computer data basing going on the Doc giving the driving medical could cross check for records? So lets say a insuline using diabetic wants to get his CDL, takes the written test, driving test and medical card, knowone checks his medical records?

9. phroziac

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    No, they dont ever check medical records ever ever ever.

But, think about this. In a thorough company physical, you take your shirt off. Someone who is using insulin will have needle marks and they're usually on the arms or belly. Diabetes also manifests itself in ways that are fairly visible, such as sores that dont go away. I've noticed the sores diabetic people tend to have are fairly unique.

It's not 100% conclusive but I suspect a clever doctor will figure it out.

Also, diabetics who are insulin dependant tend to have a hard time keeping their blood sugar in check, and can easily make them fail the sugar test....

You can cheat that test by not eating before they do it. But companies like to offer you free donuts before the test..ROFL...

10. old-six-pack

old-six-pack Heavy Load Member

Oct 24, 2007
    vernon hill, va
    p on the outside of the cup..........

better yet poop on the outside of the cup

i always tell them i don't need drugs to be a idiot..............

11. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    Regarding the original question, there are a great number of legal prescription drugs that can and will show up on a drug screen. Even some over-the-counter drugs will cause you some trouble...such as cough syrup with codeine in it, pseudoephedrine (a decongestant that is used to make meth)...if you've been taking it regularly for a few days, even some foods will pop you positive, like if you eat a s***load of poppy seeds before a test, you may pee for opiates. Oh, yeah...if you wear one of those hemp bracelets, don't chew on it.

Like the others said, don't volunteer anything. If something comes up, they will ask for more information. If what you tell them sounds plausible, either they will buy it or they will request a follow-up test.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.