Company paid for DOT/Physical/Drug

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Lightside, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Lightside

Lightside Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Hey there. Just a quick question. I went to a DOT physical/Drug test today for a company but there is another company I am also waiting to hear back on. What if I went through with the whole company DOT medical exam but this other company closest to home decides to hire me? Do I have to pay back the company that required their own exam? Not sure what to do now.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HotH2o

HotH2o Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Bunyan Springs, Colorado
    I wouldn't. That's the cost of doing business. Did you sign anything stating you'd take financial responsibility if you're not with the company for an "X" amount of time?

4. Lightside

Jul 4, 2015
    No nothing like that. It was just something they required before they fly me out to where they are at. Sort of the same thing what Schneider does for their company drivers before hiring them on.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  5. bubba mark

bubba mark Medium Load Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Probably not. But if you are hired by the other company you are going to have to do another one too.

Lightside Thanks this.
  6. HardlyWorkingNeverHome

HardlyWorkingNeverHome Heavy Load Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Hamden,CT
    The only real question here is wether or not you get to keep your long form. Most companies that pay won't allow you to get the long form. Forces you to go again for another company since a long form and card need to be on file.

7. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    I think I had to reimburse my company if I didn't work beyond a certain length of time.

But if the more local option is better for you in the long run its a minor price to pay to find a better option.

Lightside Thanks this.
  8. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Although it is a cost of doing business the business is also occurring said cost in a good faith manner and investing in you as a driver. If you change your mind, depending on paperwork signed I guess, then by should the company be out the money that you cost them?

Just the flip side of the coin.

9. Lightside

Jul 4, 2015
    No paperwork was signed. Just the initial app and they sent me to X place to get drug tested etc. Was a good faith thing I guess. I almost didn't go because of the company closer to home but wanted to keep my options open in case one or the other decided not to accept me.

10. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Most companies have contracts with clinics to do so many physicals. Don't sweat it, most likely your fine.

Lightside Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.