Company reviews

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by fireman5606, Feb 23, 2010.

1. fireman5606

fireman5606 Bobtail Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Shelby ,NC
    Not sure if this is the right palce for this compilation of thoughts and questions so mods feel free to relocate if necessary. I continue to see the same company names coming up in the good company/bad company threads. How can these companies get so much praise form some and an outright cussing from others? Is this due to different experiences with dispatchers? Payroll personnel? or is it simply a difference of opinion? I can't possibly understand how one person is essentially screwed while another is praised at the same company if it is all the company's doing. I understand that some of this stems and originates with the lies drivers/potential drivers are told by recruiters about big checks, hometime, perfect large car equipment to drive, etc etc etc. I can see how that would lead to dissapointment from day one after reality is realized. But I still can't understand how so many people can be unhappy with a company while others couldn't be dragged away with a team of mules. How is one supposed to get informative truthful information about a company if they are praised and denounced on the same page? Granted I have not been on the road for a couple years, and a lot of things have changed. Is this broad range of experiences coming from the fact that some drivers have the professionalism and maturity to deal with the problems presented to them, while others are "spoiled" by recruiters lies and run home crying when a problem arises? Or is it that some are here because they love the profession they have chose, while others (due to false advertising and representation from recruiters) see trucking as an easy way out of unemployeement?

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to get others opinions on the thought mentioned. In no way am I trying to belittle or make fun of anyone. I am just trying to figure out how there can be such a broad range of responses.

kickin chicken and JustSonny Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kickin chicken

kickin chicken Road Train Member

Jan 4, 2009
    SC
    Basically, this is what we commonly call, "doing your homework". You will have to sift through the information provided and make an informative decision based upon what you have researched.

Some post are praises, but some are eye openers.

You will find this in any vocation that you choose. It is reality.

Please post some questions to narrow your concerns.

Best to You and to Your Success!!!!

JustSonny Thanks this.
  4. fireman5606

Jan 24, 2010
    Shelby ,NC
    KC, I guess in short I was just wondering how there is such a broad range of comments about companies, and if there is possibly a common cause. I have read threads on a driver who is extremely happy with their current company, and a few posts after origin someone says "give it time they will screw you just like they did me" or something along those lines. Is it the company or the driver that has the problem? I know everyone has their opinon and each to his own. Maybe I should just chock it up to differences in people and their expectations.

For example I know a guy that was fired because the tandems came out from under the trailer he was pulling. The company said it was his fault, which I can agree with. It was his responsibility to ensure the trailer was safe for road use, and that all equipment was functional before hitting the road. He however thinks this is a bogus reason for getting fired, blaming it on faulty maintenance.

JustSonny Thanks this.
  5. ambivalence

ambivalence Medium Load Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Cleveland, NC
    Thinking the driver in the above scenario couldn't forsee metal fatigue? Strange comment. Regarding the balance, not hard to tell the majority of comments in one column are 'internet recruiters' while the majority in the other column are actual employees.

My employer is well known for using 'internet recruiters', 'employee relations contractors' and specifically trained company 'team players'. These 'pawns' aren't hard to spot either as they all resort to identical 'comments' and 'body language'. Try imagining a class full marginally educated 'union haters' learning the 'phrases and gestures' - almost comical.

My favorite retort from these clowns that is used universally when attempting to shut down an argument where their 'facts' are obviously skewered. "I was a union steward for the UAW for x number of years so I know what I'm talking about!" This phrase is used constantly, along with others, in lame attempts to 'control' specific situations. 'Red Flag' every time. Sad and pathetic.

On the other hand, 'contractors' who come in and state they are fellow line workers but whose 'stories' are quickly picked apart. Must be a real growth industry now, you know - 'hired thugs' and/or 'union busters' have been around for generations unfortunately.:biggrin_25523:

fireman5606 Thanks this.
  6. fireman5606

Jan 24, 2010
    Shelby ,NC

Well for the driver I mentioned in an earlier post. He plainly told me he never done a pre-trip or post trip. In his words "If it started in the morning I drove it, it wasn't my truck to inspect." I can only take for granted he applied the same care and professionalism to the trailers he hooked to. He said he slid the tandems after hooking to the trailer and never visually checked the pins, but he "heard them lock so there was no reason to walk back there and look." I don't want to come across as a judgemental person, but it is your responsibility to ensure the safety of your truck/trailer. I don't think I am being unfair to say he is at fault atleast partially for the tandems coming out from under his trailer based on the information directly from his mouth.

On to your reply, that sheds alot of light on things. I didn't really think of the companies being desperate enough to resort to such tactics but it makes sense.

kickin chicken and JustSonny Thank this.
  7. JimF

JimF <strong>"If you got it, flaunt it"</strong>

Jan 29, 2008
    Salisbury NC
    Oh please! Don't start the conspiracy crap.

If metal fatigue caused the above mentioned driver's problem, deterioration would most likely have been far enough along to be visual, if he had bothered to look.

Fireman, that driver's story is the type that is a major portion of the complaints on here. They screw up, but it's the company's fault, or the company's is bad for taking action against them.

Couple of examples: There's a thread on one of the carrier forums, a driver is bad mouthing the company for letting him go. He had a DUI, almost off his record when he signed on. He didn't put it on his app. For whatever reason, the company found out about it after he was on with them. When they did, they terminated him. The fact comes out that they didn't fire him for the DUI, but because he falsified his app. Yes, they were slack in checking, but well within their right to fire him for falsification. Yet he maintains he did nothing wrong.

Another: Poster is bad mouthing Maverick. Has never worked for them, but is warning others off from them because he says their web site if lying. He's not a driver, he's looking for training. He says the Mav website offers that. And from the home page, you might get that impression. However, if you check just one more page, you'll see they are talking about training a exp. driver, who has never flatbedded, how to do it. All the poster had to do is read a bit more. But no, he just jumps on here and starts typing away.

The biggest thing to remember is that there are something like 3 to 4 thousand drivers out there. There are about 35 thousand members on this forum, a high percentage are no longer active, or are not drivers. So there is only a small percentage of America's truck drivers represented here. And we all know complainers are more likely to get on and post than those who might be happy.

Try exploring the posts for just Swift. It has something like 15K drivers. How many do you think are on here. You'll find lots of negative, but a lot are vague, or hearsay. You'll also find some threads that are day to day postings from Swift drivers or trainees, who so far are content, if not happy with the company.

I guess, in a nutshell, if a driver is unhappy with a company, and knows about this forum, he or she is going to get on a post a negative. But of all the drivers who are not unhappy, the majority are just out there doing there jobs, and not bothering with being on the forum.

JustSonny Thanks this.
  8. JimF

JimF <strong>"If you got it, flaunt it"</strong>

Jan 29, 2008
    Salisbury NC
    Hey Fireman, just noticed you're from Shelby. Small worl, I took my MG to a shop in Shelby a few times. Can't remember the shop name, but he always had older Land Rovers parked out front.

You driving? If so, who for?

9. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    You're going to get all kinds of answers for a company because they hire all kinds of drivers. One driver might think $300 a week is great and others will know it's crap. Some drivers just want to get behind the wheel and they don't care what they get and so on. I believe drivers are the last stop to check to see if a company is worth working for. You can ask to see if they have many drivers that retire from that company and that will give you a good indication. But you need to check the company itself and SafeStat is a good start. You'll need to make a list of what you want out of a company because the needs are all different for drivers. Like I wanted to haul gasoline, be home every night, have great benefits, and make $1650 a week. I found the company and I was lucky because they decided to close the terminal and offered the "golden handshake" and I retired with a very nice package at an early age. So now I don't have to worry about job security and I only worry about fish security and if they're bitting. Also just remember that a good company has NO need to advertise for drivers. So you'll have to get out and look. BTW that driver that was fired was an idiot and he was completely at fault. He must have gotten his CDL from a Cracker Box along with his super space ring.

Big Don and JustSonny Thank this.
  10. badsey

badsey Medium Load Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Green Bay, WI
    Many Company Truckers have a very bizarre mentality and will just eat it and eat it and eat it from a company until they are literally thousands or ten thousands in debt with nothing. Those Arrow truckers come to mind -even thought they weren't getting paid and the fuel cards were not working you still had maybe 50&#37; in disbelief that the company was going under.

-The other 50% jumped ship as soon as possible.

Fleeces are the same. I have heard many stories of Fleecers tell of how much money they are making and how happy they are then see them dead broke only a few months later.

I know of no industry that has the ups and downs of trucking -I suppose when you are busy there just isn't time to think about it, but the bitterness seems to sink in later. -Many bitter and broke truckers that work very hard out there and there is another scam invented every day to suck you in.

JustSonny Thanks this.
  11. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    In a nutshell:

Some drivers will NEVER be happy, no matter what.

Some drivers seem to get along, no matter what the circumstances.

Once in a while, you find a driver and a company that really are a good match. Of course, this is what you are hoping for yourself.

SO:

Know yourself. Know what you must have, what you should have and what you want to have. Know what you just can't or won't live with.

Do your homework on the company. Take verbal statements from EVERYBODY, recruiters and other drivers with a grain of salt.

There was quite a thread on here about questions you should ask a prospective employer. If I can find it, I'll post the link in a few minutes.

JustSonny Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted