Company rolls out truck driver check-in kiosks to cut down on wait times at warehouses

Discussion in 'Other News' started by Chinatown, Jun 21, 2024.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Or they can just use vector through any tablet.

Concorde Thanks this.
  3. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    I hate those things.

Concorde Thanks this.
  4. Suspect Zero

Suspect Zero Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Burbank, IL
    I rarely had an issue with checking into a place, having that place employ a person with enough motivation to actually load/unload me in a timely manner however, is another story altogether.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2024
  5. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Just announced, not actually in place. Shouldn't take more than 10 years for deployment. Then about 3 months until the terminal is destroyed by an irate driver.

6. gentleroger

Jun 1, 2010
    This stuff already exists. IFCO, P&G, General Mills, and Meijer all have tablet kiosks or qr codes that lead to a web portal. Home Depot uses Vector, which a driver can use to check in up to 12 hours ahead of arrival. The only thing this does is allow the driver to not get out of the cab - which the rail roads have been using for 10 years.

The thing is, none of these apps do anything to speed up the check in process if a dock door needs to be assigned, or seals verified, etc. The only difference is the driver is the one typing stuff in while the clerk waits.

7. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    Had to look at the date of the thread before replying, lol.

Is news just catching up or just a slow day?

I have places I’ve been going to for years where there isn’t any human interaction.

Kiosk check in..robot loads trailer. Kiosk check out..grab a seal from the box and your paperwork from the printer…gone.

8. gentleroger

Jun 1, 2010
    It's someone who came up with a brilliant idea using outdated technology that will require expensive infrastructure to that doesn't deal with the root issues of the 'problem' - too many trucks coming in for the available employees to deal with/overly complex processes.

9. PacoTaco

PacoTaco Medium Load Member

Apr 16, 2016
    South Texas
    I love going to those places. I’ve yet to encounter a kiosk with an attitude.

Concorde Thanks this.
  10. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    Those robots are very gentle on my trailer also. At least in my experience with them.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.