Company Sponsored Training or Independent Schools?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Asphalt Cowboy Spirit, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Asphalt Cowboy Spirit

Asphalt Cowboy Spirit Light Load Member

Nov 19, 2011
    California
    Howdy,

I`d like to know what do you think is the best way to go.
    All feedbacks are welcome!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ravenrider4

ravenrider4 Bobtail Member

Nov 19, 2011
    depends if you can afford school or not. if shelling out 1500 bucks to my school for training is not a possibility for you than company sponsored is the way to go. If you are able to pay that much i personally believe its nice to have multiple options.

4. FatDaddy

FatDaddy Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Katy, TX or Swedesboro, NJ
    If you can afford it then pay and put yourself through. Don't let a company "own" you.

5. Asphalt Cowboy Spirit

Nov 19, 2011
    California
    I can afford it, but let me put it in a different way; why would you pay for it when you can have it for free and save your money?

@ Ravenrider4: I don't know which school does train you for $1500, all The ones I've found are around $5000...

6. Cudascious

Cudascious Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2011
    New Mexico
    Yeah a good school with high placement rates, or good connections is the way to go. And I also believe its around 5000 bucks. I paid I think 4500 and got every endorsement under the sun and had trucking companies all over me. lol I had the choices. Best way to go if possible. Maybe try for help through the unemployment office, they have all kinds of hidden resources for schooling....

7. Roadfreedom

Roadfreedom Light Load Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Where is there a CDL training school for $1500 Raven4?

8. Roadfreedom

Roadfreedom Light Load Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    I too am in the process of trying to decide which school to go to. A "free school" where you are obligated for a year, or take out a loan and go where I want to go? I am currently studying the CDL Manual for Colorado and will have my permit soon. Any advice on Stevens or the CDL College school in Aurora Colorado? Any info would be appreciated.

9. Asphalt Cowboy Spirit

Nov 19, 2011
    California
    How do you know if the school has high placement rates and good connections?

10. FatDaddy

FatDaddy Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Katy, TX or Swedesboro, NJ

Simple....it gives you more options

11. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Avoid company training . If you don't complete a year with them you'll be billed over $3,000 . The agreement won't keep them from terminating you for some petty reason .
    Placement rates mean nothing . It only means a lot of newbies are being hired to replace a lot of newbies hired a few months ago that didn't make it . There are very few new jobs in the trucking industry . Just 3 or 4 newbies swapping seats in the same truck in a year .

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.