Company Sponsored Training or Independent Schools?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Asphalt Cowboy Spirit, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Traveler51

Traveler51 Light Load Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Greensboro, NC

Hmmm... Is this true? Some one chime in here.:biggrin_2552:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Roadfreedom

Roadfreedom Light Load Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    That just doesn't sound right. I am not in the industry yet. I have passed and received my DOT physical and just took my tests Tuesday for my CDL permit and passed it and all the endorsements, Hazmat, doubles, air brakes, tankers, etc.. So I am not speaking from experience. But if it were just "newbies swapping seats" why are there so many new graduates and so many ads for drivers? Plus, from what I hear, these new regulations are going to make it necessary for even more drivers.
    I am also starting to hear rumors of cpm rates going up. I know I saw one ad for a guarantee of $875.00 per week or 36 cpm whichever is greater for new hires with one year of clean OTR driving.
    I plan on attending my driving school the end of February(waiting for the winter to be over) and I have every confidence that I will find a job.
    Just an opinion from a future trucker.

gary

4. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Didn't you just answer your own question ? There are so many new graduates and ads for drivers because of the high driver turnover . Don't you accept the fact OTR carriers have over 80% turnover ? If they have 1,000 trucks do you believe they changed drivers in 800 trucks ? No , they probably have drivers that have been in 60% of their trucks over a year so the 800 drivers leaving were in only 400 trucks . Can you follow that ? At least 40% of their trucks have 2 or more drivers in them each year .
    Haven't you read posts by newbies who get sent across the country because their assigned truck was abandoned by the previous driver .
    A while back I posted Werner's quarterly report . Freight was down 11% and they reduced their fleet by 10% . Why are they constantly running newbies through orientation ?

5. Roadfreedom

Roadfreedom Light Load Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    You don't have to get your underwear in a bunch. As I said, which you left out of my quote, "just an opinion". You certainly have more experience and knowledge about the industry than I have. I certainly agree that there are a lot of "drop outs" within the first year once "newbies" find out it is not as easy as they think.

Do you think the new regulations will make more drivers necessary?

gary

6. jimvrg

jimvrg Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2012
    yellville arkansas
    you will learn more at a company than a school,schools take your money and push you out the door in 2 weeks,how much do you think you can learn in 2 weeks?

7. Traveler51

Traveler51 Light Load Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Greensboro, NC
    Hello,
    I too am shopping for the best training and schools. I recently applied for a government student loan this past week --[FONT=&quot]www.fafsa.gov [/FONT] Apparently, Community Colleges vs free standing schools are qualified for these student loans. For me, just one more option since I don't really have $5k or so for a school. I'll keep you posted.
    If someone out there has had experience with FAFSA loan, let us know!

8. Jarose88

Jarose88 Bobtail Member

Jan 29, 2012
    West Salem, Oh
    I have had a FAFSA loan(s). When I was in college, they are pretty straight up and some of the best student loans I could find seeing as they were about the only one with a fixed rate. You don't have to pay start paying back until 6 mo after graduating or quitting school (I would recommend that if you get a un-subsidized loan you pay the interest). I believe that when I had the subsidized (govt pays the interest while you are in school) and the un-subsidized loans I had close to 5k. If you have anymore questions I will see what I can pull out of my brain to answer them for you.

I am going to guess that these will be the same type of loans but I cannot guarantee that.

9. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    What is learned is entirely up to the learning ability of the student and the dedication of the instructor . Few schools push students out in 2 weeks .
    There is too much risk with a company school . If you leave after school before meeting your obligation they will bill you for training and not certify your training . Private school certificates will be good with any carrier.

10. "The Prophet"

"The Prophet" Bobtail Member

Feb 3, 2012
    Aiken, SC
    yea but as for me "THE PROPHET" I am really growing faint trying to start into the trucking industry...I mean how is it so much a driver shortage, but then the entry is hard itself to get into???

11. ml911

ml911 Bobtail Member

May 11, 2012
    UT
    Independent schools , maybe the best way to go. You are not owned. Many schools either have finacing (not reccommended). Workforce services/ unemployment offices may have programs to help. VA will also pay for most CDL schools. Several companies offer tution reinbursement, and schooling in most cases is a tax write off. I've seen schools from 2500 - 6800, Look around. Company schools can be good if you plan on staying there for a year or more. I would rather not be owned ( did that in the military). While in school get endorsements while studying Tanker Hazmat and doubles and triples. Hazmat is expensive and some hoops to jump through but good to start with.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.