company sweating me about my idle time

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by jtaran06, Jun 27, 2009.

1. jtaran06

jtaran06 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2007
    western ky
    my idle time has dropped my mpg... there crying my 40% idle is to high ive asked for an apu 90% of fleet has one they tell me no im not gonna sweat when its 95 outside 115 in truck they tell me go in truck stop till night time any one else companies crying about idle? i got a bunk heater so in winter i dont idle

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    Depending on the size of your company....an APU is a major purchase and not all companies will qualify for incentives......

Now that Cap and Trade is about halfway to being the law of the land.....we're gonna see more and more of this.....Drivers are no more than donkeys who hold a steering wheel according to the government....
    The privately held non-government bail-out companies are not high on Obama's list either.....

You lack of comfort is not important......That's the price you pay or rather, the conditions of the job you agreed to when you signed on.....

That's not my opinion...that's the government's......

4. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    The driver does not work for the government.

These companies have had these policies for years. Was it the fault of the government say 3 years ago?

Companies have no compassion for the driver.

otherhalftw, YbeLegal and PharmPhail Thank this.
  5. Peanut Butter

Peanut Butter Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2007
    PO Dunk Idaho
    Jataran06 go to the main page here look for the sponsor global trucker, go there and click on air conditioners, see if that might work for you its 12 volt and they also have a portable power that will run it for 27 hours, if i was going over the road again and they #####ed about idle time that what i would get and try it,, better than nothing.

6. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    True, but all drivers are affected by government regulations....

Again true....but the anti-idle laws were first discussed by the CA legislature back in the late 90's
    Define "compassion" and also show me where compassion is a requirement even for companies like Disney?

7. Bigray

Bigray Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    what type / model of tractor do you have

8. jtaran06

Dec 23, 2007
    western ky
    international 9400i

9. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    First, the government sets the regulations. This is not a problem. It is true.
    But when it comes to idle times, many of the companies back in 2002 had idle policies. They strove to reduce the idling. These were not California related issues, but what the companies do.

As far as compassion, it is pretty basic.

You as the owner of the company have provided a job as OTR and have provided a sleeping location. You initially allowed the driver to idle the truck for a decent night sleep. You now prohibit it and want no idle.
    Now, how does the driver do this?
    Should the company now be responsible to provide a motel room instead?
    The company has not reduced the heat or ac in the office for the staff and surely the CEO is not sitting in a dark house with no ac trying to sleep.

ship71021, YbeLegal and Everett Thank this.
  10. Bigray

Bigray Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    not familiar with that tractor, are they charging you yet, too deliver their freight?

11. jtaran06

Dec 23, 2007
    western ky
    when it 96 n humid out and its 12:30 pm muggyer that hell they have no load im sure not going to bake while i wait

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.