Company Training vs CDL School Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Coriolanus, Sep 12, 2021.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Keep us posted on that school. Ask if the school price is prorated if you leave before the 2 yr. contract.
    Contract doesn't mean much if you're with a good outfit and don't want to leave.

Coriolanus Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Unless you have a ton of money in the bank paying that much money for a CDL is a bit foolish! However, it is important to remember there is also a VERY viable 3rd option. Of course, it is not logistically something easy for a lot of people. That is getting it at a trade school. I would never recommend company-paid training until all other options have been exhausted!

4. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Company paid training worked out very well for me. To each his/her own. I paid $37.50 per week, payroll deduction, ZERO INTEREST. Total of $1950.00. I made more than that during 5 weeks with my trainer.

5. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    Same here. Stevens training was spot on.

6. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Great, I spoke to a guy last night that is planning to start company paid in a week or two. Nothing wrong with going in that direction.

Wasted Thyme Thanks this.
  7. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Now! I also recently spoke to another guy that if not already started will soon start going to a local school 100% financed by a Virginia workforce grant! My only point was and is still at least check out going the trade school route. It might save you a ton of $$$$$! AND you don't have that year of servitude to deal with afterward!

8. Munch75

Munch75 Light Load Member

Aug 29, 2021
    I went with Schneider personally. My circumstances were to get out of my previous career post haste before I ended up on the disabled list. They had the best offer for me for training - paid training, paid lodging, paid rental/flight/bus/ or fuel to get to their closest training facility and home after training. Guaranteed job after passing and obtaining CDL and only 9 mos. required stay or pay out training costs. I am an army of 1 at home. My (now) previous employer has a fleet department that had reimbursement but the timing, cost and then their requirement for 2 years after the fact was a heck no.

Coriolanus Thanks this.
  9. Dockbumper

Apr 29, 2020
    That was with Swift a little over 5 years ago. I doubt the price or terms have changed much. ALSO.....IF you left before your 13 months was up....you only owed them the pro rated amount remaining. AND....... they would let you make payments without interest...... OR..... Give you a DISCOUNT if you paid them in full. Not many Companies offer a sweet deal like that.

10. Dockbumper

Apr 29, 2020
    There was no servitude involved with my employment. I got paid per mile just like everybody else. I got a good solid footing in this industry. Worked for Swift on 2 separate occasions for a total of almost 2 years. Had to come off the road for close to a year due to my Mom's failing health. I would have no problem whatsoever recommending them.

11. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    I still think going to a scool is better than company. Mostly because if all the lies from the recruiter is too much you aren't pressured to stay.
    That said really the main one to avoid is CRST. They have a habit of suing your new company.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.